HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

TG Drop Tank Conversion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEM90D
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:06 pm    Post subject: TG Drop Tank Conversion Reply with quote

Hey all,
I am 15 , and buying a TG gemini for a project car. I have a big sound system ready to go but one thing that pisses me off is the fact that the fuel tank is behind the back seat ( this stops alot of the bass from entering the cabin ). So i was thinking , maybe , is it possible to do a custom drop tank conversion , but not a HUGE drop tank? If so how much you think it would set me back?
The car will be fairly low , i have already bought KMAC springs and sway bars.
Help appreciated,
Ryan.
nomiS
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TG Drop Tank Conversion Reply with quote

Unless your a hell audiophile i wouldn't worry about it, you'll still get plenty of bass through it
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: TG Drop Tank Conversion Reply with quote

If you want to do it cheap, put in a pannel van tank (they sit under car) or if you want to do it good there are guys in here who make custom drop tanks, but itll cost considerably more.
GEM90D
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: TG Drop Tank Conversion Reply with quote

nomiS , so i will still get LOUD bass?

Pete , how much am i looking at roughly for a panel van tank?
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TG Drop Tank Conversion Reply with quote

Search the old forum for 'drop tank'... there is one from some car or another which fits easily apparently... zg fairlane??
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TG Drop Tank Conversion Reply with quote

If you want loud bass then don't worry about the petrol tank at all, it makes very little difference trust me, it actually sounds nice and clean

if you are after top quality bass (which would require good quality equipment anyway and $$$$) then it may make a slight difference in clarity but trust me you will still be able to impress your mates and turn heads. I have found that twin ten inchers in a ported box worked the best as far as punch and clarity and sheer volume. 12's and 15's can be a bit boomy for my tastes and if thats what you are after then forget the petrol tank, it won't make a difference.

hope that helps.
Martin
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 12:13 am    Post subject: CROCK OF SHIT!! Reply with quote

the fule tank dont block off any bass!! i have 2 rockford 12's in mine and im getting 139dB!!! outta 2 12's thats good! bass is a frequincy, it travels through metal!! such as the fuel tank!!
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: TG Drop Tank Conversion Reply with quote

I'm sure a better amp would be cheaper, just crank it up more and sound deaden the panels to stop them vibrating.
Gemmy
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 1:31 am    Post subject: Alternate tank position Reply with quote

Just a thought .. what if you were to have the tank laying in the boot with a false floor on top of it. Would that be possible .. providing of course that you dont want your boot for anything more than a blankie and the groceries.

It is something I have been thinking of doing to hide the tank altogether. Would it be possible ?
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: I am sure he #meant# to say I beg to disagree Reply with quote

Mind the language gene.
GEM90D
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: TG Drop Tank Conversion Reply with quote

I'm a boomer , hehe. I have two 15" JL AUDIO subs waiting to be installed into the car already. Should be niiiiiiice and louuuuuud and turn plenty of heads. Hehe.
GEM90D
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: TG Drop Tank Conversion Reply with quote

well with two 15"s in the boot i am GONNA have to sound deaden alot -- all the boot lid and in the panels on the sides of the boot as well as under the rear parcel shelf which will be housing my 6x9s

TOTAL RECOIL 139.7 DB 6x9s

all i know is i want a fkn loud system :p

info on my system is @ http://home.iprimus.com.au/vbrs/gemini
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: TG Drop Tank Conversion Reply with quote

"they are capable of 139.7 decibles by themselves, and can handle up to 1700w RMS"

pffft Smile

to find a speaker capable of 1700w RMS go to a rock concert in a stadium and stick your head one metre away from the front of house speakers and then you may be getting 1700wrms worth of power coming through them.

(did you mean to say 170wrms? cause that aint bad! Smile
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:34 pm    Post subject: Don't worry about it. Reply with quote

I had a single 12" Response Sub, hooked up to a single Sansui amp running about 150 RMS and just that gave off more bass than I ever thought it would. So don't even worry about the tank.
nomiS
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TG Drop Tank Conversion Reply with quote

And draw the attention of people who steal stereo's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: