HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

TG DASH on a TE? --(Troubled)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 2:43 am    Post subject: TG DASH on a TE? --(Troubled) Reply with quote

I have always liked the TG style dash with the instrumentation. I have a 1981 TE SL with this gay dash, and i was going to replace it with the TG one. Anyway, I went down to the wreckers the other day, and the guy working there goes "it won't fit on". What the fuck? Is this true or what? Because I want to change the dash to the TG, and if i can't i'm going to be very pissed off...

Maybe the guy is clueless, I hope so.....

Any Ideas?
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: TG DASH on a TE? --(Dave) Reply with quote

Troubled,

TE dash's are a bit dated for the model car they are. The TD instrument binnacle is much cooler, but then again, it suits the TD and I've always thought that the TF/TG dash should have been on all 'square' Geminis.

Truth is, it does fit - I've seen cars with them in. But I'm told it's a lot of work. That's all. Good luck.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: TG DASH on a TE? --(Kev) Reply with quote

It will fit if you are willing to do some cutting and welding to ALL the necessary brackets in the interior of your car. It does fit, but trust me - it's not worth the time and effort. Sell your TE and buy a TF/TG if you want the dash that badly.

Or else you'll probably just be 'very annoyed'.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TG DASH on a TE? --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

We are gemini enthusiasts, since when has the fact that it is nearly impossible and will take forever been a deterrent??
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: TG DASH on a TE? --(kev) Reply with quote

Optimist or Realist????
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: TG DASH on a TE? --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

I really think it shouldn't be that much harder than any other fabrication work, that is it will be boring, technical and time-consuming, but if you do a good thorough and sturdy job of it you will never have to see it again.

I would suggest that for the price of a gemini dash from a wrecker you could probably buy a TG gemini SL/X from the trading post, use the brackets from it and it should be easy, well easier.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2000 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TG DASH on a TE? --(Kev) Reply with quote

Steering column is also different between TE and TF/TG which would mean changing the column and the associated hole in the firewall. I'm not sure but I think the steering rack may also be different (in it's connection).

Pop the windscreen out because that panel just inside the windscreen that holds the demister vents is also different.

Whilst your at it, grab the entire wiring loom from a TF/TG which will save you messing around with different looms.

Don't forget to grab the TF/TG console and shifter (shifter is at a different angle - more vertical)

And by the year 2003 it should be a job well done!
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2000 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TG DASH on a TE? --(Dave) Reply with quote

I believe the gearstick is in the same spot in all RWD Geminis.

Gemini's don't have shifters as such - the gearstick just goes straight into the box which is why it comes out at such a weird angle.

My mate's TG has a remote shifter, but that was far from stock. He had to cut a hole in the trans tunnel and fabricate a box around it. His shifter is now vertical.

Dave
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: TG DASH on a TE? --(kev) Reply with quote

Although it comes out at the same spot, it is at a different angle. The earlier model ones could be bent I suppose

The remote shifter is definately the way to go - they are factory Japanese ZZ/R or ZZ/T items: Very few in Australia. (let alone the console that goes with it)
There was a company making aftermarket ones down here but I don't know how good they are (still with no console though)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: