HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Borg Warner & Salisbury diffs??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 11:36 am    Post subject: Borg Warner & Salisbury diffs?? Reply with quote

Does anyone know the physical differences between Borg Warner diffs as found on TX's and I think also TC's, compared with salisbary diffs as found on TD and later models.

I have never had a Borg Warner before, but I am picking up another diff from a wreckers, and wasn't sure how to tell the difference just by looking at them. I usually pull them out of cars myself, and thus havn't had this dilemma before.

Anyone know?

Ben Wight
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Borg Warner & Salisbury diffs?? Reply with quote

If my memory serves correctly, and the difference I saw was the telltale sign, the Salisbury version has the cast torque tube.
On the Sal it is more of a torque arm, whereas I noticed that on the original diff from my TX the torque tube was more like a steel tube, round pipe if you like.

Is that the only difference? The Borg looks ancient whereas the Salisbury looks more modern. Or are you referring to the diff unit itself minus the torque tube?
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Borg Warner & Salisbury diffs?? Reply with quote

Yeah that rings a bell, the toque tube is steel and not cast alloy. Thats the sort of difference I was hoping for, as I am picking up the whole assembly for an LSD conversion.
smee
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Borg Warner & Salisbury diffs?? Reply with quote

Bolt pattern on the case is the best way to tell. The Salisbury is more octagonal in shape and has 12 bolts holding the diff cover IIRC.
The Borg Warner is more a Banjo smooth shape with a round cover on it.
The TX torque tube is the one to have. It is much stronger than the alloy one. The rally people like them also cause they are not as prone to rock damage as soft alloy is. Less weight and is also smaller.
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Borg Warner & Salisbury diffs?? Reply with quote

Strange that it would be stronger and lighter. I can understand the stone damage to alloy though. I had my TX torque tube come loose from the diff and spit the oil out, so I was happier to go for the later model diff.

What are you planning with the LSD conversion, Ben? The VB/VC Commodore centre? I am interested in LSD conversions because I really want one, sick of this one-wheel-a-spinning setup.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: lsd conversion Reply with quote

if you go for a commodore lsd the numbers on the complaince plates to look for are g80 as this the limited slip diff and has thicker axles and if you want a diff ratio look for GV4 and if disc brake is wat your after look for JM*
hope this helps ben
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 10:33 pm    Post subject: borg warner and salisbury Reply with quote

As far as I now, the Borg Warner is an eight-bolt and the Salisbury is a 10 bolt, so a quick count of the bolts on the diff cover is a pretty easy and definitive way to tell.

Although, I could be wrong. Slug will tell me if I am.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: lsd conversion Reply with quote

Thanks Fish, but I dont need the whole commodore diff, just an LSD centre, which I will be getting installed into the salisbury diff that I am picking up from the wreckers.

I would prefer to go a complete diff swap, but due to the suspension setup, it would require a lot of planning. I know a few people running locked centres in the standard diff, and they aren't braking axles though, and their cars are just donut machines. Skinny hard tyres probably helps the axles live though.
JFK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: lsd conversion Reply with quote

if u wanna buy a round model lsd ill sell u one for $1000 with the disc brake rear but im not telling how it s made to fit to the standard centre
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: borg warner and salisbury Reply with quote

ROFL I will eh Smile ... I am going to say something else that noone has. The Salisbury diff has a larger centre 7 inch V 6.5 Inch. externally they are interchangable except for the drum brake backing plates.. also the steel torque tube is heavier but both fit either diff.... Michael
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: lsd conversion Reply with quote

Whats a "round model" ...
JFK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: lsd conversion Reply with quote

tx tc td
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: lsd conversion Reply with quote

I am curious why you specify round model, as the diffs are easily interchangable.

As for how it is made... can I take a guess? disk brakes taken from a holden Salisbury diff, swap over everything including the backing plates and it fits up nicely except that the backing plates are slightly the wrong thickness which means there is end float in the axles and the wheel bearings wouldn't sit right, just need to make up a shim of the thickness of the difference between the two backing plates...
or is it a piazza rear end, my experience with these is limited to zip squat doo-dah, nada, nothing....

As for the LSD, holden salisbury diff out of torana/commodore/kinga?

or maybe a piazza part?
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: lsd conversion Reply with quote

All i can say is that an LSD in a gemini is awesome. Specially if ya engine goes hard

you can feel it hanging on to corners and feeling both the wheels spin when u boot it
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: lsd conversion Reply with quote

G80 is the code for the LSD in the Piazza too.. same diff?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: