HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Overheating Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 8:56 pm    Post subject: Overheating Problem Reply with quote

Hi all,
This is my first post and it's quite a problem.
I have a TD Sedan that when driven kept Gradually getting hotter and hotter.
The engine eventually blew a head gasket and the rings went.When it was going, i put in a new radiator,new waterpump and left out the thermostat.It would run ok if i sat under 90kp/h on an open road or didn't get stuck in peak hour traffic.
Now i've put in a stock TG motor,kept the original inlet manifold and the weber i bought,put the new waterpump and radiator from the other motor, changed the head gasket,
flushed the heater through the hoses with water (a lot of dirt came out)and now bypassed the heater just before the connections in the interior.
Now it heats up just as quick as before but doesn't stop.
I was thinking that i have to tighten up the fan belt (there's about 1cm of play),or change the radiator for the one that came with the engine in case the dirt that was in the heater hoses has clogged up the newer radiator.
Is there something i'm overlooking?
This is driving me nuts!
Please Help.
tigermm
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Problem Reply with quote

When it overheated, was there steam from the rad or someplace else, cause mine used to blow the shitty old heater hoses till I replaced them. I know you bypassed them but the point is.... can you find the spot the steam comes from?? Is it losing coolant??.
Otherwise it might be an oil pressure problem causing excessive heating of bearings etc, mine was reluctant to rev, overheated and chewed out a new set of mains in about 3 days!! But the fact that youve got a new motor prob. means it aint this.
Only other thing I can think of is that you retained the same inlet manifold which might be causing a restriction to the water flow, assuming that its like a stock one and the water goes thru it (or it is a stock one, I dunno Smile )
Other than that the gemini manual (bible) says over heating can be from:
Obstructed passage for air thru the rad. Flush shit out from front to back with a hose or something.
Slipping fan belt (tho I think the proper adjustment is 10mm play in the center) maybe its just too worn and in that case its prob. gonna slip no matter how tight you do it up.
Coolant flow problem, like sludge in water jackets (but again new motor......) so I reckon it might be your manifold has a blockage in it somewhere, try running a hose thru it and see how much you get out the other end.
Or else check that none of the hoses anywhere is collapsing.

Shit that was a big post.

Hope something here helps, or at least gives you a few ideas.
tigermm
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Problem Reply with quote

Shit sorry flush stuff from BACK to FRONT thru the rad, basically push it out how it came in. Actually was the new rad a recoed one?
Doug

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Problem Reply with quote

Yeah,after writting my original post i was thinking it might be the inlet manifold getting a blockage or restriction at the 'T' piece.
The Radiator was new,the place i got it from said that the metal in gemini radiators is to thin to be worth recoring,or something to that effect,weather he was bullshitting me i don't know,i got a radiator from the same place a about 4 years ago,but can't remember if it was supposed to be recored or new.
Thanks for the reply.
Keith
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Problem Reply with quote

Put your thermostat back in. The thermostat is there to help regulate the flow of coolant through your radiator. when you run a motor without a thermostat your coolant passes through the radiator too quick and does allow it time to cool down.
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Problem Reply with quote

Thats what I would do as well ... BTW dont forget next weekend Keith... also the 6 hour relay race is on this weekend I have a few mates running in it Aand I am going out for a look let me know if you want to come out .... Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: