HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

looking for g-series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon96
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 2:24 pm    Post subject: looking for g-series Reply with quote

ok, how are w e all?
i am now up shit creek without a paddle as i run out of coolant, blow it out my exhaust and the oil is opaque brown with bubbles. it's ok becuase i wanted to invest in a bigger engine anyway. i definitely want a g-series but i am confused. poeple tell me that boring a smaller engine, ie 1600 pr 1800 will go hardest but logic tells me that a 2 litre would go the fastest. i plan to change the head to a 1600, possibly with some porting, cam, extractors,etc. i can get a g200 with extractors rebuilt and run in for only two months for $600. sweet deal? any opinion or motors that would suit my needs would be good. send me an email on abigtallguy@hotmail.com
cheers simon
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for g-series Reply with quote

A worked 1600 can go hard because they like to rev alot more than the bigger engines, you can make them go quite well if you want to spend a bit of money. A 1800, like Adam said gives a fair bit more torque etc and can also go hard if you up the compression a bit. A g200 will give you a fair bit of grunt but as far as i know doesn't like to rev as hard but if you put a small head on it behaps shave it you could make the donk go quite good. Could always consider a motor from another model car if you are up for the work. Have a look back thru the forum to see stuff on that...
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for g-series Reply with quote

Not sure what all this stuff is about g200 not wanting to rev as hard, all the g200s i have driven have been able to rev quite freely to about 7500 and one sung well all the way up to 8k. Was chatting to a guy a few years back who had built a gemini rally car with such a massive cam in it which would rev out to 9000rpm. I would definitely go a g200 over a g180. Just make sure when you get it rebuilt have it balanced and if you have quite a lot shaved off the head it may be necessary to have the pistons fly cut to run a really nice cam and have that straight valve security.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for g-series Reply with quote

well i my bros g200 dont rev as hard as my 1600 and we have spent bigg bucks on them but go the 1800 as the stroke is bigger and can be bored bigger than the g200
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: looking for g-series Reply with quote

No replacement for displacement/boost or both.

Bigger engine will always produce more torque if of same design. Cylinder pressure increase such as high compression or boost will make an engine rev higher for a power increase.

Although my G200 doesn't rev as quickly from 5000 to 6000 rpm, as it does from 4000 to 5000 rpm, I would never trade it for an 1800 which typically does like to rev a bit higher. Is balanced, but I have a significant increase in exhaust back pressure at around 5000 rpm, so my exhasut is effectively resticting my engine.

And remember, if you bore an 1800 out, you can always bore out a 2 litre as well.

Ben Wight
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: looking for g-series Reply with quote

from what i have been told the g180 has pretty much been taken from a g200 cast so you cant bore it out more than what you can a g200. Also you cant get g200 pistons off the shelf larger than +60 though, and you really wouldnt want the motor to be bored out more than that because the cylinders start to get pretty close to each other and you will probably find youself blowing quite a few head gaskets mainly between cylinders 3 + 4 among other things.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: looking for g-series Reply with quote

okkay so if the biggest piston you can get are 2L = 60 thou dont that make the 1800 bigger over all? the 1800 has the bigger stroke than the g200 but the g200 has bigger pistons so in theory the 1800 will make power with the same engine mods as the 2L
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: looking for g-series Reply with quote

Nah, the specs on a stock g180 is bore 84mm stroke 82mm and the g200 is bore 87mm stroke 82mm, so they have the same stroke, so all you can really do to get larger engine capacity is make the bore bigger - max about 1.5mm so all up 88.5mm. Anymore than that and the first time it pings will probably be the last.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini parts All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: