HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

New Weber on TF, woohoo!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 2:39 am    Post subject: New Weber on TF, woohoo!!! Reply with quote

Hi all,
I just fitted the 32/36 DGV from my TX to my TF and cannot believe the difference it made! It made a fair difference to the TX but not as much of a difference as it has to the TF.
There is so much more response, torque, and for a stockie she pulls a mean little line-locker too Wink
While the carby was being swapped I cut the centre web out of the inlet manifold and did a little porting of my own. Seems to make a difference. Now all I have to do is get my extractors and 2 1/4 pipe fitted from the TX and I will be set for a while...

Oh, another thing, I disconnected the belt from the stupid air pump. How much power do you guys reckon this thing would sap? 5hp? The difference between a TX-TD and the later models in standard power?

Me very happy Smile
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: New Weber on TF, woohoo!!! Reply with quote

TX - TD = 61kw

TE - TG = 50kw

Special thanks to all the pollution concious people at Holden 20 years ago Wink
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Weber on TF, woohoo!!! Reply with quote

yeah, the pump belt would have also made a noticeable difference for sure. it makes your car accelerate slower, feel more sluggish and some of them make a fucking horrible noise too. make sure the egr vacuum pipe is blocked too - helps on some engines.

very interested to see that removal of that web piece on the manifold makes a difference - something weve been thinking of but never actually done Smile
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Weber on TF, woohoo!!! Reply with quote

what is this "pump belt"??
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Weber on TF, woohoo!!! Reply with quote

yeah. i took the air pump off. it seemed to create a tiny bit more torque but that was about all. all it does is mix air with the exhaust gases so that when it was tested for pollution it was lower
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Weber on TF, woohoo!!! Reply with quote

The main difference in the power between TX-TD and TE+ is that the compression ratio in the earlier models is higher. The TE is quoted as being 50kw and a TF-TG is quoted as being 49kw.. So maybe the air pump makes 1kw difference?
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: New Weber on TF, woohoo!!! Reply with quote

In standard form, from TE onwards I think, there was a bunch of pollution gear added. One of the devices was an air pump which takes clean air from the air cleaner and mixes it with the exhaust to clean the air up.

I have also heard of similar systems being used on high performance motorbikes to 'aid in the burning process'. Hmmmm

This is the second manifold job I have done, first on the TX. Makes a difference up top and smoothness.

Cheers Smile
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Weber on TF, woohoo!!! Reply with quote

The air pumps have both a parasitic power drain, and they increase exhaust manifold pressure, which effectively increases back pressure the engine sees. This combination will cause a power loss, but I have no idea which actaul bit will have what power loss. I would be guessing, but I would say that you might loose 2-4hp at higher revs. Depends on the condtion of the pump bearings.

You might want to try plumbing the pump into the carb inlet one day and spinning the shit out of it. Cheap supercharger. You might get a bit of boost, but the air temps would negate any power benefit.

I know of a few people who have used these pollution pumps on lawn mower engines in home made buggies, dont work too bad, but this was only on very small single cylinder engines.

Ben Wight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: