HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Forgive me!! --(Morgoth)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2000 8:22 pm    Post subject: Forgive me!! --(Morgoth) Reply with quote

Forgive me Gem lovers for I have sinned. However, i shall not repent.

If you'll excuse the religo trash talk i'll get down to my point.

While Gemini's will always have a soft spot in my heart, I have finally chosen to pursue a different option for my first, project car.

Once upon a time, in a small village called Melbourne, there was a man named Derek. Derek had only one need in life, and that was to go fast. If anyone has seen the Yamaha ad, that's me "when you were young, you dreamed of speed"......"Where you go now.... is up to you". While i will not be going the path of the motorcycle, (at least not yet). The once beloved 1979 Holden TD Gemini has been crossed off my short list of hopefuls who would be fortunate enough to have me drive them.

And so, being an Aussie in Culture, and Birth, a TRUE aussie car was sought. A classic in australian mythology. The car i am talking about had always been on the cards, but only rose to glory one day, on the S.E. Freeway, just south of Dandenong, i saw a lovely specimen of the car. Champagne in color, immaculate condition, and burning up the road, weaving through traffic. She was an old car, 28 years of age, to be precise. And, whilst still being 10 years older than me, i fell for her.

The dream of a 1972 LJ Torana(2 door) was born. My true dream car, a VH Valiant Charger, would have to wait. The 265 straight 6 Hemi, 6 pack of webers would not adorn the garage of this young man for some time to come.

So, without flame, or criticism (constructive is good), the decision has been made, and while i still love and appreciate the financial, and mechanical feast that is the Gemini, the image does not suit me, nor do i suit the image.

NOTE : You may try to 'rescue' me if you wish, there may be SOME hope, but it is doubtful. I will continue to visit this place, and support www.hotgemini.com, and appreciate good Gemini's. But, it is not looking like i will own one of these babies in the forseeable future.

Cheers

Derek

old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Forgive me!! --(paul clausen) Reply with quote

You'll never ever get it to handle as good as a gemini with the same $$ spent on it, unless maybe you toss the tractor engine that they put in old holdens, and fit something light.
OOOh that gives me an idea, one of those things with a lexus V8 would be pretty bloody sweet.
But a Gemini with one would be better.
Yes I agree the image is bad, but they're such well designed cars that I can deal with it.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Forgive me!! --(Andrew) Reply with quote

What type of image does a Gemini portay exactly? Smile
I am curious to hear what you people think
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Forgive me!! --(Morgoth) Reply with quote

Yeah, the 202 will be thrown out the window as soon as i can afford to chuck a 1JZ-GTE in there, or perhaps (a cheaper option) a 3.8L commodore V6.

Derek
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Forgive me!! --(Paul Clausen) Reply with quote

ugh
202 to 3.8V6 = one tractor engine to another tractor engine.

cheaper and better than the holden V6 would be a Rover alloy 3.5 (or 3.8 or 4.2 (i think)) V8
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Forgive me!! --(Dave) Reply with quote

yeah, but the beauty of the Commodore V6 is that both standard and performance rebuild parts are comparitively cheap. Castlemaine Rod Shop do a bolt-in kit for Holden V6s into Geminis so labour should be cheaper (cheaper still if it's DIY). As far as I know, the firewall and trans tunnel need no variation aside from a new shifter hole to fit a Commodore VN V6 and 5 speed.

I haven't done it yet myself, but stay tuned in the new year!

If weight is important, the all-alloy Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 V6 is a pearler - light and with 20kw more power over a Holden 3.8 .

Nothing wrong with Rover V8, but it's all a matter of dollar$.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Forgive me!! --(paul clausen) Reply with quote

I dont want to offend anyone on this forum Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: