HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Questions on rodeo 4ZD1 2.3 litre carby motor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silver_ice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 12:49 pm    Post subject: Questions on rodeo 4ZD1 2.3 litre carby motor Reply with quote

hi all

got a petrol TE gem - will this motor slot in nicely? ie: is the rodeo motor diesel or petrol? will i need to change much in the way of fuel stuff?

I like the sounds of the engine mounts bolting straight up from the 1600. Is the only mod with the crossmember? how is the tailshaft? lenght, yoke ? do they all fit.

sorry for the n00b questions, but my VH with a 195i clubby crate motor is neaarrrlly done and im looking for something else: will be this or a LH Torry with a RB30ET (or both!)

Thanks
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on rodeo 4ZD1 2.3 litre carby motor Reply with quote

Just to further tilt your decision towards the gemini over the LH, the piazza turbo gear off the 4ZC1 will fit quite nicely onto the 4ZD1.

It is a petrol motor, runs a carby in factory form, also ex-factory the static compression ratio is 8.0:1 which means if you drop the piazza turbo and exhaust manifold, rodeo/piazza injected inlet manifold... I'll stop here, you guys all know where I am going with this...
silver_ice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on rodeo 4ZD1 2.3 litre carby motor Reply with quote

cool - any ideas on costs for a 4ZD1? most labour can be done by me and mates.

oh and have u got anything more detailed on the conversion aside from whats in the workshop?
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on rodeo 4ZD1 2.3 litre carby motor Reply with quote

Alas no, that was all the detail that Dustin gave and he has long since disappeared from these forums.

Costs... Neal Thompson (former forum regular) found a wrecker who would do an exchange swap of a G200 for a 4ZD1 for $850 from memory...
Kizza
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on rodeo 4ZD1 2.3 litre carby motor Reply with quote

in hot fours theres an add
4zc1 turbo $1000
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on rodeo 4ZD1 2.3 litre carby motor Reply with quote

Would write up a detailed step by step guide on how to do it, engine details and efi info etc. but the last time i wrote a 5 page workshop article not one could be bothered putting it up here so fuck it. Its basically the same as putting in a 4zc1 engine, theres a few ways you can go about installing them. The main prob is that the heads sit further back on the engine than the g161/g200 and the distributor is bolted onto the head. When you go to bolt the engine in with the standard gemini engine mounts then the distributor hits the firewall. This is easily combated with a big hammer/angle grinder. If you dont want to bash your firewall in however then you can also swap the engine mounts over ie. the left mount on the right side of the engine and vise versa. This moves the engine forward an inch or two, just enough for the distributor to fit, however because the engine is now sitting further forward so is the gearbox (any standard gemini gearbox will bolt up to these motors) hence you will need to make up a custom gearbox mount and also need a slightly longer tail shaft. This can easily be combated by using diesel cross member/engine mounts/gearbox mounts and wouldn't you know it? The diesel tail shaft is also 10cm longer for the perfect fit. Whack in a thermo fan, connect everything up and your off.
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on rodeo 4ZD1 2.3 litre carby motor Reply with quote

Hmmm, a fuel-injected, turbo-charged, 2.3 beast, that will just drop in? Fuck me dead. That would be a farken torque monster. I JUST WANT ONE!
silver_ice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on rodeo 4ZD1 2.3 litre carby motor Reply with quote

hmmm
this 4ZC1 EFI turbo motor sounds the grouse. i might have a go at that. Ive got experience doing the carby --> efi conversion so i guess so long as i get a complete motor with harness and computer i should go alright.

will probably end up running a fuel cell because i wanna do tubs and the original tank position sucks for tubs

thanks for the advice guys
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on rodeo 4ZD1 2.3 litre carby motor Reply with quote

If you want a grouse motor and If you can find one at a reasonable price get a efi 4ze1 2.6 liter and turbo that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: