HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Engine Thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 9:07 pm    Post subject: Engine Thoughts Reply with quote

What are everyones thoughts and/or preference on engine transplants?

There is such a wide range of choice out there:

Mazda 13b
Mazda 12a Turbo
Isuzu G200 DOHC
Nissan SR20 DET
Nissan CA18 DET
Nissan FJ20 Turbo
??

anymore to list?

It's just that i should have enough cash by the end of december to start looking into buying a new engine and i am really interested into everyones thoughts on the topic.
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Thoughts Reply with quote

My favorite would definately be the SR20-DET (going under my bonnet as soon as I have the dosh). If your on a budget, I would say go for the CA18-DET as they are easy to fit into anything, and go quite hard. An underrated engine actually. Since you have these in your list, don't even bother with the G200 as it's still only an 8-valve engine. Rotory's are OK but god I hate the sound of a big port rotor, turbo rotors OK though.
Well, that's my 2c. Good luck though!
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Thoughts Reply with quote

I am biased in that I don't like rotaries so I'll ignore 'em.

The G200 DOHC doesn't make that much power and is getting a little long tooth and only has 8 valves and is not much stronger in the bottom end than a G161Z.

The SR20 costs an arm and a leg, is undersquare (long stroke, small bore). Uses rocker operated valves on a 4 lobe cam and is physically larger than the CA18.

The FJ20 is old and becoming thinner on the ground

The CA18 is widely available for up to 2K cheaper than an equivalent SR20, uses direct 'cam on valve bucket' valve actuation on a true 8 lobe cam, is oversquare and has all the features that people always rave about on the SR20 (cast crank girdle, oil squirters for the pistons).
Danny
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Thoughts Reply with quote

what do you need/need to do to put in the CA18. how easy is it.
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Thoughts Reply with quote

Also FYI, the SR20 has an alloy block/head, and the CA18 has an iron block/alloy head. Andd the great thing about the CA18 is that you can just bolt on (IE no mods) the roller bearing GT28 turbo from the s14 200sx. (standard turbo is plain bearing T25).

If you want 375+ hp then get the SR, otherwise get the CA.
simon96
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Thoughts Reply with quote

i would have to agree that the ca18 turbo would be the go for pistons, but i rekon a 12a turbo, fuel injected but not too much of a pig would be fucking sweet. bit of a bitch to fit though, looking at over $8000 to do properly, paying someone else to do it that is.
murray
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Thoughts Reply with quote

how many horse power does the CA engine have
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: