HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

CA18DET Conversion

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pisana
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 3:36 pm    Post subject: CA18DET Conversion Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I've seen this conversion popping up alot and these mtors are hella cheap to buy with a computer and all ancilliries. I was just wondering what would be involved in installing one of these motors. I've got things like Aftermarket ECU and a decent fuel system and wanted to know wether you could keep things like the tailshaft, crossmember and any other stuff or would EVERYTHING have to be modified? Any info would be much appreciated.

Phil
pisana
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET Conversion Reply with quote

BTW i have a 1983 Gemini sedan.
JFK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET Conversion Reply with quote

get an fj20 or ca20 turbo so u can go with the biggest ur aloud
pisana
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET Conversion Reply with quote

CA20?? i think you mean the SR20DET yeah? There way to expensive to buy. Besides, the CA18DET makes about 130kw standard and has heaps of tourque. Just wait till a bigger turbs goes on and i feed it more boost!

phil
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET Conversion Reply with quote

you can get a CA20DE, I dont know about CA20DET though.
pisana
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET Conversion Reply with quote

Whats it out of? I used to work for a import wrecker and have never come acorss this motor. Ben, i noticed your turboing your gem. If i don't do this conversion i'll be doing the same though i want a blow thru setup so i can cool the charge air. What would be the best carby for the job. Will i need to change the inlet manifold?

Cheers

Phil
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET Conversion Reply with quote

Hey Phil,

I think the CA20DE is from a pintara or something like that, thinking of it know, it might be a single cam engine only, a CA20E.

I've had my gemmy turboed for a couple of years now, I started off with a draw through setup, but shortly changed to a blow through. I am running a 38 DGMS downdraught weber, very similar to a 32/36 DGV. I am currently using a VL Turbo T3 and RX7 S5 intercooler, all on the standard inlet manifold. I have heavily ported both the inlet manifold and an off hte shelf carby adaptor.

I am going racing, both at calder park and heathcote raceway this weekend, so I'll let you know what times I pull. I am hoping for a good 12 second run. With a couple of planned mods, 11's are my goal.

Cheers!
Ben Wight
pisana
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: CA18DET Conversion Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Ben. I was thinking of a T28 but the T3 is alot more affordable and common (i've noticed many T3 exhaust manifolds to suit geminis in the trading post) What type of exhaust manifold do you have? Do you live in Melbourne cos my gemi should be up and running within a month if i can find all the right parts and it would be great to hook up and have a quick run. BTW, what motor are you running and what internal work have you done to hold up to the boost? Sorry to ask so many questions, just wanna try and undertand as much as possible before i start 'another' project.

Phil
simon96
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET Conversion Reply with quote

so about the ca18......
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET Conversion Reply with quote

I'm running a piazza exhasut manifold with a flange to suit the T3 welded on. I'm in Ballarat.

I have had the engine balanced, and the block o-ringed, I am using a G200 and a 1600 heavily ported head, but I have had flat top pistons machined to get an 8:1 comp ratio. Any basic combo will hold up to the boost as long as you are not detonating. If you start blowing head gaskets, or braking pistons, then you are detonating. This means that either your inlet temps are too high, you fuel mixture is too lean, or you combustion pressures are simply too high. To reach your limit in combustion pressure though is usually the last thing that breaks engines.

Cheers!
Ben Wight
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: