HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

TURBOING!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEMGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 12:55 am    Post subject: TURBOING!! Reply with quote

Has anybody so far looked into using the standard exaust manifold and adapting it for use with a simple draw through turbo kit that would do the job for the time being?
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TURBOING!! Reply with quote

Yes it works but it looks hell dodgy.
GEMGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: TURBOING!! Reply with quote

Hey Mark!!
So have you tried this method, Ive actually got a g200 turbod with a proper made manifold to go in to my wagon im restoring, but I was thinking for my getaround car a simple way for now before actually getting time to try and work out how to sand bend pipe to make custom turbo extractors!! I realize it will look shit but hey thats why I call it my shitbox!! Can u give me some details or photos if you have had experience with this application!!
Thanx!
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TURBOING!! Reply with quote

Waytoolow is selling a turbo kit with a modified standard exhaust manifold. His is a blow through like mine though. He has advertised the whole car in the other for sale forum. The kit might be sold by now though, but you could get pics from him.

As far as sand bending pipes go, why bother? when you can go to virtually any exhaust shop and buy mandrel bends, mild steel or stainless. Stainless is better, but there are expansion issues and higher initial cost. I recommend you buy a turbo book such as "maximum boost" by corky bell and research this further.

As far as mmodifying the standard manifold, you can simply cut the bottom off and weld on a U section, mount the turbo up quite high and forward slightly, to leave enough room for the dump pipe. This is not the best or even a good way to do it, but it is still effective. It might be best to just concentrate on your wagon setup, instead of mucking around, as you will still end up spending some dollars. Particularly if you havn't got a turbo with seals suitable for a drawthrough setup.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TURBOING!! Reply with quote

Waytoolow is selling a turbo kit with a modified standard exhaust manifold. His is a blow through like mine though. He has advertised the whole car in the other for sale forum. The kit might be sold by now though, but you could get pics from him.

As far as sand bending pipes go, why bother? when you can go to virtually any exhaust shop and buy mandrel bends, mild steel or stainless. Stainless is better, but there are expansion issues and higher initial cost. I recommend you buy a turbo book such as "maximum boost" by corky bell and research this further.

As far as mmodifying the standard manifold, you can simply cut the bottom off and weld on a U section, mount the turbo up quite high and forward slightly, to leave enough room for the dump pipe. This is not the best or even a good way to do it, but it is still effective. It might be best to just concentrate on your wagon setup, instead of mucking around, as you will still end up spending some dollars. Particularly if you havn't got a turbo with seals suitable for a drawthrough setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: