HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Wheelz for TF help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:43 pm    Post subject: Wheelz for TF help Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am after a set of new rims, preferably 15x6. I just called VicRoads and they detailed the specs. Down here we are allowed 25mm over standard width and 15mm over std rolling diameter. This pleases me no end Smile

At this stage (I am cheap ATM, and I do lots of rallying) I am after steelies, but could be open to a cheap mag wheel as long as it doesn't look poxy. I don't want the attention of the constabulary and I want to build a sleeper if I can.

BMW rims have been suggested, in 14x6 though. I have a set of modified Camira steelies, 14x5.5 with OK tyres, but these just won't do, need bigger.

Does anyone know FOR SURE which rims will fit, or can anyone give me a contact number/email so I can talk to someone who will know what does and doesn't fit?

I have the standard rims and tyres with plenty of rubber to burn, so I am not in a huge hurry. The sooner I get some more grip the better Smile

Thanx
maDGeMvAN
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelz for TF help Reply with quote

I've seen plenty of gems with 15 inch steelies. I think they are from calibras. I know that they fit 195/50/15 and 205/50/15 tyres on them. Where in victoria are you? In Doncaster melbourne there are quite a few gems with these wheels on them, usually with commodore hup caps,slammed suspension. look good.
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelz for TF help Reply with quote

Thanx Capt'n Smile

Sounds good to me. I have a friend in Doncaster and I will be heading that direction when Deb and a few others organise a cruise.

I am in Bendigo, there aren't too many nice Gems up here, I would say about 5 done up to any reasonable extent.

I have a 3 stage plan with wheels:
1) 15x6 steelies with Gem stud pattern
2) 15x6 Commodore interceptors (are they 15x6?) when I change over to Commodore discs and studs
3) Third stage of mods with big alloys and paint job

There is a Gem in the modifieds with Calibra alloys, they seem to fit well. I just wonder about the offset. I will do some ringing around the wreckers and see what I can find.

Thanx
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelz for TF help Reply with quote

Yeah i have the calibra rims, i need spacers on the front to reach full lock otherwise the tyre rubs on the strut. But i virtually needed spacers for golf rims too, so thats not saying much. Calibras were FWD, but so were camira's and most other rims you find will be off FWD too for that matter so offset will always be a hassle.
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelz for TF help Reply with quote

I might have to do what I did with my Camira rims and get the centres shifted by an engineer. I would rather do that than use spacers which are not only illegal but pretty dangerous.
I'm not risking sh!t this time around Smile
The Calibra mags look pretty good though, pity you can't shift the centres on those!
gatesy
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wheelz for TF help Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the steelies you're talking about are from a TS astra. Calibra's never came out with steel rims.
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelz for TF help Reply with quote

why dont u just get 15 inch bmw rims itll be heaps easier cause they are rear wheel drive so your offset is the same and u dont have to stuff around machining them.
not only do they look good but u can get some fat ass rubber on em.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: