HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

twin cams/1.8s/2.0s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 1:44 am    Post subject: twin cams/1.8s/2.0s Reply with quote

Ok sorry if this is anoying because someone has answered these questions before but I've searched the old forum and can't seem to get a DEFINITE answer on some things.

1. Do all DOHC's have EFI?

2. Does anyone have any actual experience in comparing G180 and G200 DOHC's? I've seen the kw and hp for these and it doesn't seem to be much difference, but does this difference increase when the engines are worked a bit? I've also heard that G180's go harder than G200's which seems to contradict common sense (ie. bigger engine goes harder)

3. Does an exhaust/extractor set-up for a G161 SOHC fit onto DOHC's? Even if a deisel crossmember is used?

I know this might open up a pretty fat arse can of worms so please can people only reply if they have FACTS, not just opinions on what they think is best.
Thanks for your patience everyone.
Phew.
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: twin cams/1.8s/2.0s Reply with quote

No, not all DOHC's are EFI.
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: twin cams/1.8s/2.0s Reply with quote

Yes all double overhead cams are efi, if you want to run carbies you need to make a manifold, and no a single overhead cam extractor/header setup doesnt fit. It will bolt onto the head, but it either doesnt fit past the chassis rail or runs to close to the engine mount and ends up melting it.
Phil
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: twin cams/1.8s/2.0s Reply with quote

yeah thats fine I don't want to run carbies, and im gonna buy another gemi bomb and try to fit the engine into that and fiddle with extractors etc to get it to fit properly so my car isnt off the road for too long. Any idea how much the new setup will cost(ie. what needs to be altered/bought for my exhaust system to fit)?
thanks
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: twin cams/1.8s/2 Reply with quote

Yeah same thing here...

i got a nice set of extractors that i would like to make fit if possible to a 1.8 DOHC, what needs to be modified? or will the extractors fit but the actual pipe just need to be modded?
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: twin cams/1.8s/2 Reply with quote

question 1 is no
question 2 is also no.. on all accounts
question 3 is no as well

pretty simple eh Smile and if anyone would like to disagree then I sugest you dont ... Michael
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: twin cams/1.8s/2.0s Reply with quote

1. AFAIK, all DOHC engines are factory EFI, but most you see getting around in geminis are using twin carbs, mounted on aftermarket manifolds.

2. I have experience in G180s and G200s. Most people feel the G180 'goes harder' because they like to rev a bit more than the g200, but if both worked to the same level, the 2 litre will always make more power and torque.

3. No idea!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: