HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

g161->1.8+

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:18 pm    Post subject: g161->1.8+ Reply with quote

i was wondering how much you could sensibly bore out a g161 - so that its still able to be thrashed about abit without having to worry about changing the block over the next weekend Smile
the reason im asking this is because, why dont people just get g161's (which come basically 'free' when you buy a bomb to strip) and get them bored out, rather than using up $$$ that could be later on put towards a turbo or something.
Is there a main advantage to having a larger stroke than a wider bore? How does this work?

The main point im getting at is that if you plan on spending heaps on performance, your going to use that performance, and especially with a turbo setup you'd probably be worried about blowing the bottom end if you plan on playing with the boost, and if its only a g161 block with a larger bore its much easier to replace than a decent condition g180 or g200.
4BIDIN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: g161->1.8+ Reply with quote

cubic inchs makes hp you cant beat that.
The extra cc makes for a lot more torqure at less rpm so you dont have to rev them as hard small cced engines have to be reved hard to make the same power.
As for stroking a longer rod and shorter piston means less power needed to move the piston the same distance so this means your engine is making more hp because less power is needed to drive it .
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: g161->1.8+ Reply with quote

yeah if you want more inches stroke it
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: g161->1.8+ Reply with quote

An undersquare engine ( larger stroke than the bore ) will have more torque and lower RPM than an oversquare engine ( larger bore than the stroke) which will have more RPM but less torque. To prove this just look at motorbikes IE Harley VS Firestorm. A harley is undersquare and lucky to rev to 5000 while a Firestorm can rev out to 11 or 12 grand - don't quote me on exact RPM here
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: g161->1.8+ Reply with quote

I agree with the torque factor, but I like to be able to use the revs a little, and having now driven both warm g180 and g161, I prefer the revability of the smaller engine.

Finding these things in abundance for cheap or free is a bonus. I inquired about a g180 recently, figures pointing in the $500+ direction. Too pricey.

Makes me wonder though about the guy in here (won't name names) who was on his fourth g161 after blowups.

Food for thought though Smile

Benjamin
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: g161->1.8+ Reply with quote

You also have to realise though, that if you are at the point of detonation where you are breaking pistons, you rarely damage the actual bore of the block, just the pistons. Therfore, pistons for a G161 or for a G200 are roughly the same.

So why not buy a G200? Well to get 2 litres from a G161, you have to use a 2 or 1800 crank anyway, and then bore it out to accept 2 litre or oversize 1800 pistons. I cant remember the exact combo, but it becomes expensive to buy all of the individual bits. Afterall, who is going to sell an 1800 crank, without the block? For the same price, you could probably get both.

As far as I remember, you can only bore the 1600 out to around 17XXcc's with the standard crank and 1.5mm oversize 1800 pistons. This wont make as much torque as an 1800 or 2 litre. So if you are building a performance engine, why settle for less.
darla
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: g161->1.8+ Reply with quote

If Fish wants more inches, I stroke it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: