HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

New Engine --(Chris)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 3:41 am    Post subject: New Engine --(Chris) Reply with quote

My log 1600 is getting pretty tired 18 years and 180,000k's so it engine upgrade time. i'm thinking seriiuosly about an 1800 or 2000 to relace it. Are these bolt straight in jobs and can anyone point me uin the direction of somewhere in the northern subs of Melbourne where I can get one.
Cheers Chris
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: New Engine --(dustin) Reply with quote

have fun finding a g200 in victoria at a resonable price
i tired and gave up
i could get a reco one for $2000 cuz no exchange
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine --(kev) Reply with quote

If you can be bothered, it's amazing what turns up at Pick-a-Part these days. I've seen plenty of G180/G200s there - Of course you have to look for it and then pull it out yourself. They sell the short motor (Valve cover to sump) for around $100 (could need a reco).

Failing that, East Keilor Wreckers in Hampstead Raod Maidstone tend to have a few interesting motors.

let us know how you go....
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2000 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine --(Paulo) Reply with quote

The G200 doesn't need to be in good conditions. So if you can then just pick one up and rebuilt it yourself!
I bought one with extractors for $150 and i did the rebuilt myself. Well half, i mean i pulled it all out down to the crankshaft and i ended up getting the head fully rebuilt $150 (they are all at trade price cause i'm a mechanic) then new rings new bottom end bearings and main bearing for $100 then all new gaskets (head gasket, sump, inlet, etc.) then just the little things like spark plugs, oil filter, etc. for about $50 and i put it all back by myself and took the shitty 1600 out and the 2L in. I've had it for about 3000km and it goes like a rocket, compared to the stock 1600. And the good thing about it is that it's a straight bolt on job, just watch out with the sump cause it might hit the steering rack. Mine you can just fit a finger in between. But i've heard some people have to change the sump from the 1600 to the 2L and the oil pick up as well!
Good luck and let me know what did you decide!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: