HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

timing --(Woz)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 9:21 am    Post subject: timing --(Woz) Reply with quote

i was wondering if anyone out there could clear something up for me about how timing works...

how many degrees between each cylender spark is there? if your measuring from the distributer theres 90, but in fact the engine has actually travelled 180 degrees. when people say "ive set my timing at 12 degrees" does that mean 12 degrees after the pistons have started their decent via the distributer or the crankshaft?

just curious...
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: timing --(Paul) Reply with quote

Timing is generally measured BTDC. Before Top Dead Centre. Top Dead Centre is when the piston is at the absolute top, so the crank has pushed it up as far as it's going to go). Ok, thats TDC. BTDC is how many degrees the crankshaft has to turn before it's at top dead centre. So, if the crankshaft was "horizontal on that cylinder", then it would be 90degrees BTDC. Depending on the car, your timing has to be set differently. Not acutally sure on Gem's, but holden 6's are around 5 - 8 BTDC, 308's are basically the same..perhaps a little more advanced (more degrees btdc). Rotaries have leading and trailing spark plugs, so it gets even more confusing to describe, but thats a whole different story.

If your timing is set to 8 degrees BTDC, the spark plug will fire when the crankshaft is 8 degrees before it's "top of travel".

I hope thats what you were asking? I've been at the pub half the night...so if anyone can describe it better, be my guest....

Paul
Never late in a 308
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: timing --(Woz) Reply with quote

thanks, thats exactly what i needed to know Smile
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: timing --(Ben Wight) Reply with quote

What paul said!

Incase you are also referring to the marks on the mechanical advance plate within the dizzy, then they refer to distributor degrees, which is half that of the crank. There is a 12 and a 14 slot. Mine was set at 12 when i openned it up. It should be on 14 if using 8 degrees of static advance.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: