HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

TD Coupe... --(Crackers)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2000 11:51 pm    Post subject: TD Coupe... --(Crackers) Reply with quote

Hello to everyone, I have recently managed to pull off buying a brilliant TD coupe for only $1600, and it is in very good nick. Totally original, this thing must have been driven by a grandma for 20 years.

It is a 4 speed, with no mods done at all (yet!). Can someone suggest to me what I should do to it, if anything at all. It looks very nice as original, and I don't want to go overboard. Top speed that I have taken it to is 150 km/h, but then backed off.

I have managed to acquire a set of BMW rims that will fit nicely and then I can put some bigger tyres on, but I don't know where to go from there.

Someone please help me.

Incidently, this web site rocks.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: TD Coupe... --(Morgoth) Reply with quote

That all depends on your Budget, and what you're after in your car. If money is a problem, a few engine mods you should look at is some Webers, Extractors & an exhaust system, but if you're looking to improve performance more than just a little, i'd suggest you go the whole hog and plonk a new donk in there, a 1.8, 2.0, or 2.6L (Read Adam Gibson's post on this board). But, if money's not really an object, you could do what i'm planning on doing, which i'll outline here....

TD 4 Door Sedan, Straight, No Rust (hopefully)
Sprayjob (Mica Dark Ocean Green, or Mica Deep Purple/Blue)
14" or 15" Rims & Tyres
SR20DET engine (puts out 140kw straight from factory, with no aftermarket intercooler @ 7psi - compared to 60kw from the Gem's 1.6L stock. Not too hard to get to 200kW i'm told) Perhaps if my budget is a little low, i'll go for the FJ20DET, could save a Thou or two, but it's an older motor.
ECU (computer) & 5spd Man Trans to suit the SR20.
Exhaust System
Larger Disc Brakes, prolly 11" or so, not going to bother with rear brakes though.
Shocks, Suspension (lowered - just a bit).
Full Interior Retrim, in either Leather or Vinyl, Replace the dash and Instrument panels including 'turbo stuff' (should i go digital on this one folks? maybe just for the speedo?)
Momo Steering wheel
Alloy gear knob
Structural Bracing, or if $ and space permits, a roll cage.
Immobiliser
Steering Lock
Change external locks
May replace the Diff, but doesnt seem necessary, anyone know if a new diff would help me out any? (either LSD or not)

All up i'm aiming somewhere in the $10k to $15k mark, but if i go over $10k, things will have to be put on hold. Any other suggestions are definately encouraged
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: TD Coupe... --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

The world is truly your oyster, depending on how much you want to spend you can end up with anything from mildly modified cruismobile to a V8 smashing, fire-breathing, street and track weapon.

First things first, gearbox, you have a four speed, simply buy a five speed from the trading post, be sure to get the tail-shaft with it, as they are different lengths, voila` you have an extra cog, if you need more detail let me know. Hell if you live on the southside of brisbane I will help.

Second, suspension, yes, suspension, not engine, not stereo, not gearknob, suspension. Statistically speaking you probably have the following things;

1. Worn upper and lower front ball joints

2. Worn rack-ends and tie-rods

3. A crack at the top of your front springs, where the coil becomes thin so as to be progressive

4. Torn steering arm boots

5. Loose wheel bearings

Some of them may be fine, but I bet I am right about at least one or two, unless the previous owner had a good mechanic, which has been known to happen.

Check them, if you don't know how, ask me. (ICQ #40093715)

Then read the suspension FAQ

THIRD, engine, the fun part, read the FAQ, decide on what your budget is ($0-$8000) mine is averaging out at $0 so I won't just tell you to go buy a shitload of stuff you don't need.

Fourth, Interior, I am working on an interior FAQ atm, it will take a few weeks, I need to get hold of a 1994-onwards rodeo, which should be arriving er, a week to a fortnight from today for research purposes.

SHIT, nearly forgot, BODY!!!, MAKE THIS THE NUMBER ONE ON YOUR PRIORITIES LIST, strip your gemini down, take out all the seats, centre console, carpet, door trims and even the quarter panels, wire brush down anything which looks even possibly rusty, cover it in a coat of kitten rust converter (one litre red container, magical stuff, really expensive but my gertrude is rust proofed top to bottom and we have only used about 1/4), then cover what you deem necessary in the thick bitumenous body deadener and re-assemble, should only take one day.

old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: TD Coupe... --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

Well, a disk brake LSD from Just Gemini Spares or similar would have two big advantages, the first is brake balance, if you just upgrade to 10.5 inch front disks and leave the stock drums hanging out the rear then you will undoubtedly lock the fronts long before the rears are braking to their full potential, where as with a disk setup all round when you jump on the brakes all four tyres will be sharing the anchoring duties. (also big disks look great inside a set of mags better then drums at least)

Secondly is traction, even with my wheezy old 1.6 donk in the wet I quite easily spin the inside tyre if I punt it mid corner, this just wouldn't happen if I had an LSD. So if you add an extra 140kw on top of stock power then you will spin a tyre far too easily.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: