HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Block --(Ashley)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2000 7:31 pm    Post subject: Block --(Ashley) Reply with quote

I'm thinking about rebuilding my Gem with a G180 block instead of the G161z. I know the 180 is a longer stroke, so I need to buy the block and crank, my head should be ok (I think??), but what else do I need? Sump, rods? I'll be reboring it and getting new pistons so thats taken care of.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2000 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Block --(Paulo) Reply with quote

Well make sure that the block fits the gearbox and that your engine mounts also fit. Maybe you have to change the sump and the oil pick up!
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Block --(Ben Wight) Reply with quote

To bolt in a G180 block, you can difinitely use your current head. The blocks are identical except that they are about 15mm taller, but this isn't a problem (some extractor brands might touch the chassis due to the taller installation height though). Therefore, as the blocks are the same, it will bolt to your old gearbox and to your old engine mounts and alternator brackets and starter motor, etc. You will however need to use the 1800 timing cover, as with the block, the timing cover is also about 15mm taller. You can however still use the 1600 distributor. The only differences are therefore the bolck, crank, pistons, (I'm not sure is the rods are a different length). U can use the 1600 sum if U want, or the 1800. They are virtually identical. If you use the 1600 sump, just check that the oil pickups are the same height, this is the only thing you need to check for. I know the 2litre sumps are differenct to the 1600 sumps, I cant remeber if the oil pick ups are different though, its been a while.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: