HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

V6 Gemini? --(Jumbo)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 11:58 am    Post subject: V6 Gemini? --(Jumbo) Reply with quote

I've come across this pic of a 3.8L gemini on the net http://www.crosswinds.net/~holdens/gem16.jpg which is registered in NSW. Seen others for sale in the Trading post too.. There's even someone selling kits for this conversion.. So I go to the RTA website and check the details for engine modification and according to that the Gemini could have a max n/a engine displacement of around 2.8 litres.. So how is it possible to get a 3.8 registered!?
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 Gemini? --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

It was possible to have a 3.8 litre gemini until uniform light vehicle modification regulations were introduced, now the maximum engine capacity is a function of the weight of the heaviest sedan version of the car without accessories such as an auto gearbox or a/c etc.

The maximum for a gemini is just over 2.7, making the rodeo 2.6 a very very very fortunate capacity.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 Gemini? --(bondy) Reply with quote

what does your gemy go like with a v6 in it ?

i have 79 & 76 model and i would like to get some i ideals for it so get looking hot having the worked.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 Gemini? --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

Perhaps you misunderstood my message, my gemini doesn't have a V6.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 Gemini? --(GemGod) Reply with quote

Perhaps you're just a gay know it all fucknut Adam.

For those concerned, it is possible to fit any engine into any car provided that the car passes an engineers certificate and is in roadworthy condition. This must be taken within reason. ie Don't go sticking v12's in minis or something stupid like that.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 9:03 pm    Post subject: Read This (for NSW) --(Morgoth) Reply with quote

Not sure about QLD, but i'm guessing the laws should be similar.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/manuals/registration/lvm/lvmfrm.htm

Derek
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 11:07 pm    Post subject: Gemgod, your turn --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

Thank you for that Derek, your input was valuable, relevant and appreciated as usual, now Gemgod, having read that, explain to me how I could fit a 3.5 litre V6 engine into a holden gemini and have it legally road registered...

I really don't like some people.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: V6 Gemini? --(Thomas) Reply with quote

Well if it doesn't conform to the rules set by the RTA then it won't be passed by an engineer! Go have a look, any car under 1100kg has a max engine displacement of the weight multiplied by some other number.. Giving the gem a max engine of around 2.7 litres..
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: V6 Gemini? --(Morgoth) Reply with quote

Yep, 2.8L roughly for N/A, 2.4L for Forced Induction.

Now the dilemma - to go for the 2.3L 4ZE1 and leave the possibility of a turbo there, or go the 2.6L version and have no chance at fitting a turbo in the future

Derek
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: V6 Gemini? --(Blake) Reply with quote

why not just throw the V6 in and dont tell anyone?
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 5:01 am    Post subject: ask the eng --(Dustin) Reply with quote

hnmmmm
seems here in vic the lagest capaity engine u can fit is 3 time the mass of the car in kg is the cc of the engine NA
so its roughfly 2.8lt
as i should know as i was planing a similar transplant
good one Gemgod
get the facts first ok
u wont get an enginers report as it wont be legal
have fun and wast lots of money trying
cya
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: V6 Gemini? --(Thomas) Reply with quote

Yeah problem is that cops love to pick on gem drivers especially ones with P plates on.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gemgod, your turn --(GemGOd) Reply with quote

Adam
The same way that guy in south australia fitted a 350 chev to a gemini and had it road registered.
IT IS CALLED UPGRADING AND STRENGTHENING.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: ask the eng --(GemGod) Reply with quote

Dustin
Who ever said i was going to attempt that conversion anyway. My g200 tx coupe suits me fine. I pose it to you that if a gemini with a 350 chev can be engineered (with the right mods) then a 3.5 litre V6 would be an absolute peice of piss to do. Having said that yes it would take a fair amount of money to do such a conversion but quite frankly if you're going to spend lots of money (at least $10 000) then why bother with a gemini?
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gemgod, your turn --(Thomas) Reply with quote

Yeah if you modify it enough it will be classified an individually constructed vehicle or something.. But how expensive is that going to be!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: