HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

LEGAL BONNET SCOOP? --(chucky)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 11:14 pm    Post subject: LEGAL BONNET SCOOP? --(chucky) Reply with quote

Does anyone out there know what size scoop is legal to put on a TG or rather any Gemini.
I was told that you can get away with a baby hornet and if lucky a medium hornet scoop, but you can only put a 1/2 large size hornet scoop on a GEM.
Is there actually a set height????
Apparently you can get defected for a 2 big scoop?

hey is there Legals on rear spoilers and rear wings?
I guess there would, but i dunno
thanks for ya help
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: LEGAL BONNET SCOOP? --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

In queensland, and I assume most other states, bonnet scoop size is by a cylinder roll test, where if a cylinder of diameter "x" is rolled up the bonnet, any scoop must hit the cylinder below its horizontal equator. you understand?? I will get the pamphlet from QLD transport tomorrow and scan the fucker in.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 10:03 am    Post subject: sorry but thanks --(chucky) Reply with quote

Sorry i dont really get it
but its cool
thanks for your help
cant wait to hear more
thanks again
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: LEGAL BONNET SCOOP? --(GemGod) Reply with quote

Adam

Do you actually have anything to do with QLD transport?

If not which is the belief of many on this forum stop quoting utter shit that your read in a magazine or pamphlet.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 9:58 pm    Post subject: please explain --(chucky) Reply with quote

im not sure if i can make heads or tails of what you said
please explain it to me in a more lay-mans terms
thanks
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: please explain --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

I will either need to get hold of the brochure or draw it in photoshop, so it could take me a day or two, and of course what I know is only relevant to QLD.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: please explain --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

Ok, have a look at
http://users.bigpond.com/afroboy_adam/images/scoop.jpg

It is an incredibly rough side on drawing of a bonnet and bonnet scoop, I mean REALLY rough, if your bonnet scoop strikes below halfway of the cylinder (82.5mm) then it is legal, if it strikes above, it is illegal, pretty simple when you have a diagram, fucking impossible without it.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 3:01 am    Post subject: thanks --(chucky) Reply with quote

thanks Adam
I cant wait to hear from you
ive priced a full size (large) Hornet scoop at $120
I intend to only use the top half
a baby hornet is worth $80 and the size between is about $100, and the prices DONT include fitting and painting
Are the prices fair?????

old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 3:07 am    Post subject: Gunna check it out --(chucky) Reply with quote

thanks heaps
im gunna give it a look
thanks again
chucky
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 3:09 am    Post subject: thanks again --(chucky) Reply with quote

thanks again
i had a look
and i get what your mean
i guess that its easier not to worry about getting scoops in QLD
Im gunna try and find out what the deal is in SA
thanks again I really appreciate it!
chucky
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: thanks --(Ben) Reply with quote

The queensland roadworthy rules for aftermarket fitment of scoops is (1) if hole is cut in bonnet it must still retain original strength ie. if you cut the x braces under the bonnet you must have some extra bracing fabricated. (2) the rear of the scoop must be sealed as to not allow oil, fluids etc. to cover the bonnet at any time. (3) there is also some sort of height limit I think 50mm. A hornet scoop should be fine as long as its installed properly, the stage one scoop is the most compatible as it already only about 5cm high. Have fun, but dont put the bloody scoop in the middle of the bonnet ( unless youve got a v6/v8 with a carby in the centre) like so many other people, unless you want cold air flow to your rocker cover.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: please explain --(GemGod) Reply with quote

Chucky
The basics of it are that:
a.) You should not take advice from Adam Gibson
b.) bonnet scoops can be no higher than 50mm at there lowest point and none of the bonnets strengthening structure may be removed. The scoop may be no longer than the length of the bonnet.

I hope that explains it easier for you
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: please explain --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

Gemgod, from your IP I would assume you are in brisbane, ring (07) 3253 4851, this is the direct line to the light vehicle modifications guys in queensland, I hope this is of some assistance, feel free to admit you are wrong later.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks again --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

Whilst it was as scary as to be told that is how they figure it out, when we actually checked it was fairly easy, we drove to the local DOT office and they brought out a cylinder, we put the bonnet scoop onto the bonnet (just sitting there on a rag) and rolled the cylinder against it, and it passed.

By the way, this was on my brothers car, I do not like the idea of bonnet scoops, I just can't get over the thought of cutting a hole in my car.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

Well said, well said, the height is the cylinder rule, trust me on this, to get the height of the cylinder I had to ring the DOT light vehicle mods guys, I wanna know who choose that height, what do you reckon, roll of a dice? number from a hat?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: