HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Cheap fix for shrunken window rubbers.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2001 7:01 pm    Post subject: Cheap fix for shrunken window rubbers. Reply with quote

In time the window rubbers shrink on all geminis, it costs $80 per window for replacements, which is a good solution but out of the budget of most gemini fans.

A quick fix which is fairly effective is to acquire a second set of shrunken rubbers, then cut two sections out of the top and bottom horizontal sections, then cut the rubbers which are on the car, slide them apart so and insert the sections, this should seal that gap at the bottom front of the window were the rubber pulls away from the frame.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 5:56 pm    Post subject: window rubbers -(james) Reply with quote

Hi there'
Over here in England we have the Chevette, I belive they do
in New Zealand too. Our crap climate means that we have no
problems with shrinkage. Could you get some second hand replacements from NZ ?
If not I'm sure you could get loads from over here. Assuming they are the same, they certainly look the same.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 12:30 am    Post subject: Ageing problems. -(mark) Reply with quote

I am currently rebuilding a td coupe with all the nice gear. Having owned the car for a few years and bearing in mind that coupe/wagon doors are longer than sedan, I have experimented unsuccessfully with this problem. Because the rubber is now in multiple pieces it tends to shrink at a faster rate,causing gaps which literally drain rainwater into the door cavities.
Glueing does not help, and can scratch window glass.
Because of the quality finish i want for my Gem, I will buy new bits from Rare Spares. Nonetheless, I believe this idea can work better than it has for me. I would suggest diagonal cuts, silicon joins and any other ways to avoid vertical cuts seperating.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2001 7:12 am    Post subject: Do it NOW!!! -(Paul Clausen) Reply with quote

Finally got off my arse to fix my window seals by cutting them and sticking it a bit to fill up the gap. I couldn't believe it took about 50mm to fill the gap and i can't believe how much quieter it is, its like a merc now, because it doesnt have any rattles or squeaks either. I should have done that ages ago isntead of persisting with all that racket on my way to nmy old work when i used to sit on 120 on the open road.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2001 12:26 pm    Post subject: In the washing machi -(Mark) Reply with quote

For my Opel Kadett C here in Holland I've put my them in the washing machine , 60C, washing powder, and after washing them they look very nice and are better to handle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Body All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: