HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Zorst Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Zorst Question Reply with quote

I'm most likely getting a 2.5" mandrell bent zorst on my gemi turbo when its finished, i want a 3" down pipe (at the back, not dump pipe from the turbo) but i want it to be reasonably quiet. Can you get a quiet high flow muffler? Or does quiet always mean 'restriction' and decreases performance?
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Zorst Question Reply with quote

Turbo motors need to get the exaust out as fast as it can, and no back pressure is required, which in turn cause damage to the turbo, but you do need a muffler of some sort to quietin it down

a muffler will restrict some performance, i think you will find that it is torque through the rev range, its not really a great issue i think,
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Zorst Question Reply with quote

Yeah i knew that about turbo's needin a large exhaust, some have recommended 3", others recommended 2.5", so i'm most likely just gonna go 2.5" just because i dont want it to be extremely loud.

So like, your sayin i could put any muffler i want on, and it shouldn't change my performance. Well...in that case, anyone have any recommendations for a nice reasonably quiet muffler? I should prolly ask my exhaust shop, but most don't really know what they are talking about, all they do is well pipes together. Also, do i need a resonator or not? Cheers BlueTC
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Zorst Question Reply with quote

yer most people do suggest the full three inch system,

but be resonable on motor/turbo size to intended power output,

you would just put any muffler on, a straight through would be one steer in the direction,

suggestions include a large single straight thru on the end, make - flow masters are great, or go by name like lukey??

if its too loud then get two mufflers, one straight thru before the diff and a resonator with a chrome down pipe, to give that distint note and not too loud
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Zorst Question Reply with quote

Hmmmm, i like the sound of a "distinct note". I'll try to describe the noise i want... I don't want a harsh noise, like when you take off it sounds like really brappy and lawn mower-ish, kinda like most gemi's with exhausts. I want a deep, kinda soft toned sound.
RiCE BOi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Zorst Question Reply with quote

The thing with turb'd engines is that they are a bit quieter than N/A ones. The turbine wheel helps diffuse noise coming into the exhaust, they get a bit louder at higher revs (obviously). But if it doesn't have a wild cam grind, then it should be reasonably quiet below 3000rpm. Unless you plan on fitting a monster B.O.V, then she'll sneeze her arse off and attract blue & red lights in your rear-view mirror.
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Zorst Question Reply with quote

so you want it to sound like a tricked out skyline,

bubbly and poppy off the start and then boost comes on and a straight high rev noise??
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Zorst Question Reply with quote

mmm i dunno, the only thing i can compare the sound to is my mates Sprinter with a 4AGZE in it. I just want it to have a soft tone, not a harsh as noise. I think i am thinking of the same noise as a skyline, or even of a tricket out WRX, they have the same noise i want.

Dunno if its possible, i dunno what my cam is gonna sound like.
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Zorst Question Reply with quote

yeah well that is pretty much what i want, i dunno what cam grind its getting, but its getting a turbo cam of some description. I'm getting a StealthFX BOV, hehe "hmmm...today i think i'll choooooose....discreet" Wink Very Happy
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Zorst Question Reply with quote

yer i think you are after the NISMO sound mate,

besides a tricked out WRX wounds like 10tonnes of rotweilers coming down the street,
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Zorst Question Reply with quote

or a motorbike
dunger
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Zorst Question Reply with quote

oi onlya4 what are you doing puttin a cam in a turbo engine, it is gonna fuck ur boost up, what kinda cam is it? is it meant for ur turbo settup?
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you end up getting your exhaust? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: