HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

mods law

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TF Jemini
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: mods law Reply with quote

hey guys, i read in a previous post that in victoria, u are allowed to increase capacity and/or power by up to 10% above the maximum available in the production model, provided the engine is one which is approved as an alternative... ie was available as an option by the manufacturer.
which 2lt engines does this apply to (if any)?
i have an 82 TF still with the 1600 in it.
thanks - tf jemini
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: mods law Reply with quote

Maximum allowable is 1760cc, unless you can argue a 10% increase over the 1800cc diesel, therefore 1980cc.
1.8lt Rodeo and 2.0lt Rodeo and Jackeroo motors bolt straight in!

Yonnee.
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: mods law Reply with quote

Hi dude... that was my post you refer to...

the law in Vic is as you stated.

in effect it means you can't use the 1.8 or 2.0 litre engines as they were not a production option for the Gemini. You will need to seek approval to fit these legally and may need to improve braking before the mod is accepted. These engines are also greater than the 10% rule so they don't fall into the catagory at all even though they were in reality the same family of engine.

The rules are structured so even though the Gemini was offered with a 1.8 litre (diesel) engine option in TE to TG sedans, it is not allowable by the rules to fit these engines in a wagon or van.

I seem to have managed to convince VicRoads engineering section that the rule should be reviewed in relation to this conversion as the two cars differ only in a few body panels, glass, rear shocky lower mounts and a fuel tank. Oh yeah the exterior door lock key key blanks are also different! Other than that all drivetrain parts are similar enough to be considered identical.

Don't be put off though as the requirements are not going to be too hard to manage. Point out that although an EH (for example) was only offered with a 179 there are lots fitted with 202 engines now. These don't comply with any of the rules so why shouldn't you use a 1.8 litre engine? I offered that arguement and it was noted also.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: