HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Elec. Dizzy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Elec. Dizzy Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have searched and read all the shit about elec. dizzy conversions and i basically have NO idea what any of it is about. Can anyone explain it in complete simple terms for me coz im a dumbass.
Winterheart
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Elec. Dizzy Reply with quote

Essentially, an Electronic Ignition conversion gives you steady, reliable spark all the time, thereby resulting in an increase in power (albeit relatively small), smoothness and driveability. The stock ignition setup is points based, which degrades rapidly in terms of spark control and timing, thereby resulting in loss of power, smoothness etc etc. I'll try and post a more comprehensive answer after I've had some sleep. Cheers Smile
TF Jemini
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Elec. Dizzy Reply with quote

how much can this sort of conversion set you back? and what components are invovled?
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Elec. Dizzy Reply with quote

Sam,
Give Jerry @ Ignition Torque a ring. Dissy's is all he does, and he's bloody good at it.
I've discussed with him using Bluebird Series II internals in a Gemini housing. This apparently gives more scope for future modifications and fine tuning.
He knows me as "Peter, the trailer man, who worked at autObarn". Smile
9720 6308.

Yonnee.
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Elec. Dizzy Reply with quote

Thanks Yon, he's away till the 19th says his answering machine. What price did you get quoted?
Winterheart
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Elec. Dizzy Reply with quote

I'm in the midst of trying to set one up, using an RB Gemini dizzy, XF Falcon Ignitor module, and a dedicated 12v coil. So far the costs have been:
4 RB Gemini\Holden Shuttle dizzies - $180
1x Complete XF Falcon Dizzy - $10
Coil - not purchased yet.

Once I source some more XF dizzy's, I'll be able to build 4 elec ignition's for a grand total of probably $250-$300, inclusive of coils as well.
Cheers Smile
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Elec. Dizzy Reply with quote

Why are you building so many? How much would you want for one?
elky
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Elec. Dizzy Reply with quote

jap spec g series electronic dizzys are the go if u can find them! just 2 wires no friggin around with boxes and shit.when i get them they usually got for $100-150. The rb dizzy's can b utilised in a g series but are notoriously bad for stuffing up, as witnessed in any wreckers with rb's, they nearly always have had the dizzy's removed.
cheers
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Elec. Dizzy Reply with quote

He quoted me around the $300 mark to do the conversion if I supplied the parts. Pinch-a-part stung me $50 for the Bluebird dissy and I already have a couple of spare Gemini ones. The advantage with doing it this way is the module is part of the dissy which makes it easier to hook up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: