HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

shortened shifters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TF Jemini
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: shortened shifters Reply with quote

hey guys i have considered shortening my shifter for quite a while as i think that it sticks out just a little bit far, and i am aware of the multitude of different techniques but i just wanted to know out of personal interest how many guys these days have performed this minor operation on their vehicles. (quite a few judging by old posts)

thanks guy (soz bout long post)

p.s. stay tune on the gem pics page for my first pics!!
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: shortened shifters Reply with quote

Nice one mate, lookin forward to it.

I dont get it, how many diff. techniques are there? Take out your shifter (3 bolts) and put it in a vice, and take your trusty hacksaw, chop chop. Then either grab an aftermarket knob and put that on (they don't screw on) or grab a tap and die and put a new thead on the new section.
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: shortened shifters Reply with quote

i just cut 3 inches off with a grinder, then grinded the end small enuff to put the knob back on,
TF Jemini
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: shortened shifters Reply with quote

well theres hacking it, and angle grinding it to begin with, and also i've read about 20 different oppinions on the best place to give it the chop, or in 2 places a some peeps suggest,
then sum people have welded a screw on top or even the original top welded back on lower.........get my drift.

i just wanted to know how many people had done it and with which technique, (as above)
TF Jemini
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Also... Reply with quote

never used a tap and die before...got any advice, or even got the tools?
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Also... Reply with quote

Just cut it where you think it is a good height, make sure where you cut it isn't going to sit any lower than the gear boot cover or else then you got nothin to hang on to, hehe. I reckon a good height, and the easiest, is to cut it just before it starts to change thickness, that way you don't have to grind the gearstick down so its not as thick (because they get nice and thick down further) My advice to you, is to cut it where i said and put an aftermarket gear knob on that doesn't screw on, put one that bolts up on.
TF Jemini
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Also... Reply with quote

the after market gear knobs that bolt on... do you mean the two bolts on the sides of the knob before you do up the bottom cover,
cos my knob(sportish) has these, and ALSO screws on???
can i just use thes bolts and ignor the screwy bit or won't that work very well?
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Also... Reply with quote

Most of em don't screw on, they just have the bolts on the sides that you do up real tight. And also, i'd make some marks where the bolts do up, and then just drill into the gear stick a little bit, just so it grips better because most of em just slip around all over the place after a couple weeks.
TF Jemini
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Also... Reply with quote

thats a good suggestion, and how much would a replacement knob be(can you can do a straight replacement?), just incase i cut to short, or change my mind after,
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Also... Reply with quote

A replacement gear stick? Any gemini gearbox shifter will fit in, they go in easy as piss, just 3 bolts. I did have another one lying around, i think it went to the tip, lol sorry. Prolly be $15 pick-a-part, not too much. Just get it right the first time Wink Your pretty tall, i'm sure you wouldn't cut it too short, heh.

I'm goin to bed, peace out.
TF Jemini
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Also... Reply with quote

thanks for help
Voiz
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Also... Reply with quote

that little screw is a grub screw, u need to get a centre punch and hit it quite directly on the spot where this screw tightens.. have fun with a drill on a round surface, u dont need to even remove the stick to cut it either leave it in and u get the best idea of the finished length.
RiCE BOi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Knobs... Reply with quote

Bit o useless trivia for ya....

Did u know that u can get defected if your gearstick knob doesn't have the 'H' pattern showing gear location on it ??
Pretty phucked, but if u get an arsehole cop having a bad day, he can actualy defect u on this. I know of someone that got defected on this in their '96 GTS-T - was slapped with a $75 fine. Hows that for a fuck up the arse ?
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: shortened shifters Reply with quote

All depends on the toys you have at your disposal. My first Gemini (about 10 yr ago now) I was still at home and had little in the way of tools, so I cut the top off and bought a thread die and re-tapped the shaft. Bit ugly but it worked OK.
Now I have a home workshop with a MIG so I can shorten the shifter using the original thread welded back on.
If you're in Melb. I might be persuaded to help out... maybe on a changeover arrangement.

Yonnee.
SAM 180
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: OI IDIOTS Reply with quote

can if you all like you can stop being like most gemini owners and not be dodgey, why dont you cut the threaded end off just below thread, then cut off desired length, then get a welder and the threaded piece back on. thats the way ive done mine and its fine, that way you have the option to keep the standard know or go aftermarket. Sam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: