HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

TX Diffs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gordo_89

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: TX Diffs Reply with quote

i think i ahve done my diff in my tx not to sure tho when i change gears it makes a dull thudding noise from the left rear of the car and also does them when i do some burnouts.
just curious as to everyones oppinion on whats the next best step upgrade or jsut buy a stocker and how much are they and also how easy are they fitted ie. would i be able to do it myself with my little diff knoweldge?

-TE Panelvan-
RiCE BOi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: TX Diffs Reply with quote

I was told (when i enquired on this) that a later TD-TG Salisbury diff is a slightly better upgrade over the early TX Borg Warner unit. Though some say the drum brake assemblies are slightly smaller on the Salisbury.
Apparently it's a reasonably simple swap over. Grab a later model diff complete drum to drum, jack the car up from under the sills, start unbolting taking notice on where everything goes, and re-bolt the new unit in.
The only discrepancy apparently is that you need to keep your TX brake lines as they're imperial as opposed to metric.
Someone posted that the torque tube mount differed between early and late models, this started an arguement without any final resolution to its truth. So i'd look further into that area 1st as well.
I've prolly cunfused u more, but i spose its better than nothing hey *shrugs*
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TX Diffs Reply with quote

and a bonus to having the later diff is that you can put on a panhard rod
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TX Diffs Reply with quote

I was under the impression that the TX diffs were a 8 Bolt, and had no sway bars,

ask RiceBoi aka GoldTXsleeper,i have seen that without a sway bar, she is a boat, ehehe

and that they the were the salsbury diffs, not sure of ratio
RiCE BOi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: TX Diffs Reply with quote

Correct, early model has no provisions for rear sway-bar. Found that out chuckin doughy's and nearly had it up on two wheels - but when u gotta go hard.... u dont care if she's only got the passenger side wheels on the ground. *LOL*
I think that there is also a sway-bar mounting point on the floor-pan of the later models, early models such as TX didn't have this. Therefore a Mig comes in handy to weld one in to improve the rear end from 'boating'.
Diff ratio difference is not an issue, it's 3.89:1 opposed to 3.9:1. You wont be able to tell the difference, and speedo will still be within approx 1% if that.
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: TX Diffs Reply with quote

crazy boi,

hahaha,

as BlueTC did not originally have a rear sway bar fitted, and as the new diff has these monts on them, it is as mentiond above a MIG welder can assist, bt as it needs to be setup i was considering a thicker sway bar, but dont want to go overboard and teh rear to be too stiff,

ratio? well i chose me own mate 4.11's Smile
gordo_89

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: TX Diffs Reply with quote

cheers for all the help fella's what price range do u reckon id be lookign at for one?

-TE Panelvan-
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: TX Diffs Reply with quote

thshould cost you about $50 and take you a coupla hours to do the sweap over. no need to change brake lines as my TX ones bolt to the salisbury diff no problems. with the sway bar mounts get a aftermarket kit and grind off the sway bar mounts on the diff you dont need them on the TX. Diff ratios are exactly the same as the later models. the salisbury has wider brake drums compared to a TX 44mm shoe.to a 50mm shoe.the whole diff assembly is about 20mm shorter so wider rims can be fitted. but verything else will fit and even the early model torque will bolt up too.
cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: