HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Gemini TC/TD --(David)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 9:23 am    Post subject: Gemini TC/TD --(David) Reply with quote

Hi all, I wonder if anyone has ever had this problem and/or knows what is going on:

I have not had much experience with Geminis, save mainly for a month or so ago I started helping a friend of mine out on the weekends by swapping over the motor and 5-speed out of his TD coupe (trashed - rusted out) into his nice TC sedan (had a poorly 3-speed auto). When we drained the sump in the motor from the TC (3-spd), we got nearly 10 litres of oily gunk! It was mainly oil, but also partly water and a good amount of coolant (saw it seperate in the half-dozen empty coke bottles we filled with the stuff). We put in the required amount of oil (4 litres or there-abouts I think), but when we repeated the process after a few weeks' more road service in the TC before pulling it out, we got 10 litres. What the heck? Has this thing got a MAJOR crack in the head or what? Anyone seen this before?

PS Sorry about the long post

PPS Oh, once when trying to start the thing, a large fountain of what I can only describe as "brown gunk" spewed up out of the carby (if that's a clue).
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Gemini TC/TD --(Jeo) Reply with quote

It's probably just a blown head gasket!
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemini TC/TD --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

Absolutely spot on jeo (joe?)

old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Gemini TC/TD --(GemGod) Reply with quote

This problem could be from a number of things. The 2 i would put my money on are either a cracked head or a blown head gasket.
The other option is that the water pump is leaking into the oil. This would be more evident if the car has been running hotter than normal.
The blown head gasket would show up as a lot of smoke as would the cracked head.

The simplest way to check would be to pull the head off the car and have it tested. Since the gasket has to be replaced when you remove the head this wont really matter. Maybe while the heads off you could have the ports cleaned up a bit.

good luck and good modding
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: