HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATG23Q
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

Last edited by ATG23Q on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Stud Pattern Website Right Here! Reply with quote

All good stuff but don't forget the other important factors...

Firstly:
The list shows all the 4 x 100mm stud pattern but doesn't show the offset. Offset is important if you don't want disk callipers grinding against rims or tyres scrubbing on panels.

Secondly:
The centre of the wheel has a large round hole in it. This hole is where the wheel hub bearing housing snugly fits into. It is important that the wheel matches this hole size. The centre hole is what lines the wheel up. The wheel studs only hold it tightly to the hub. They don't centre the wheel! Chances are great to have a wheel suddenly tear off if you push it too far at high speed. Hitting a big bump or pothole can shear the wheel studs if they are centreing the wheel alone. You might be able to use a wheel with a larger centre hole if you have a spiggot made to locate the wheel. Check first as it may not be legal in some states.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
ATG23Q
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Stud Pattern Website Right Here! Reply with quote

Last edited by ATG23Q on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stud Pattern Website Right Here! Reply with quote

Ok I plucked this info from a web page... it gives a good description of offset and how it is measured.

Wheel Offset, Rear Spacing and Wheel Measurement

Rear spacing (or backspacing) is the distance between the wheel's inboard edge and its mounting pad. It can be measured by using a ruler and a straightedge set across the backside rim of the wheel.

Offset is the distance from the wheel center to its mounting surface. To find offset, plug the rear wheel spacing and width into this formula:

Offset = Rear Spacing — Total Wheel Width

If you have a "positive" offset, the mounting pad is in front (or outboard) of the rim centerline. This situation most commonly occurs on front-wheel-drive applications. To picture this more accurately, think of the convex design of many wheels found on front-drivers; the center of the wheel sticks out further than the edges of the wheel. If there's a "negative" offset, the mounting pad is behind (or inboard of) the rim centerline. This is typical for most standard rear-wheel-drive vehicles and "reversed" rims. Sometimes, this style is referred to as a "deep-dish" wheel.

For example, an 8-inch wide, 3-inch-rear spacing wheel would have a 1-inch negative offset. Conversely, if the same 8-inch wheel had a 5-inch rear spacing, it would then have a 1-inch positive offset. Finally, if the same wheel had a 4-inch rear spacing (which is exactly half its width) then the wheel would have what's known as a "zero offset."

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Screamingholt
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stud Pattern Website Right Here! Reply with quote

sweet...ive been looking for a resource like this...ta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: