HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Exhaust and lowering
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Exhaust and lowering Reply with quote

Ok, once the turbo is finished i have to get the exhaust done. I want to have 3" Mandrell bent, but the car isn't lowered at the moment. Just say that i cut the springs (i'm not going to, im just wanting to know how low i can go), so the car is really low, lower than with s/low kinggy's in it. Can i fit a 3" in there above the diff or will i have to go 3" from the turbo then about halfway go to 2 1/2"? Also, do i need a cat?
ATG23Q
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust and lowering Reply with quote

Last edited by ATG23Q on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust and lowering Reply with quote

Because the car might be too low, and 3" is pretty big.
ATG23Q
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust and lowering Reply with quote

ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust and lowering Reply with quote

bah fuck it, i'll have a think about it, coz i can just go down to 2 1/2" after the cat or whatever, and have a 3" dump from the turbo, main thing is getting the exhaust gasses out of the turbo.
ATG23Q
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust and lowering Reply with quote

ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust and lowering Reply with quote

Still waiting on Manifolds, then engine will be rebuilt. EFI Turbo running a T25, but i want to eventually run a GT28. Then take it down to get its exhaust, then run it in for a while, then get it lowered. Lowering doesn't really matter, sleeper all the way. Wink
ATG23Q
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust and lowering Reply with quote

Last edited by ATG23Q on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust and lowering Reply with quote

Until it breaks, then i'll look into diff's. I'm just not gonna be able to fully thrash it until i get a new diff, i dont know about LSD either, i dont want to kill myself.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust and lowering Reply with quote

Sam,
Go with the LSD, you'll always know it's going to "step-out".
Take the springs right out and sit it on its bumpstops at the rear. Then see if the exhaust will clear. That way, even with new springs, if you get a load of mates in the car and it bottoms out going over bumps, you won't hit the exhaust and crush it.
With a Turbo, the bigger the better.
If the motor is still the original, you'll only have to comply with ADR/EPA regs for 1984; no cat. '86 is when unleaded came into effect and required cars to run catalytic converters, although technically, if anyone is running unleaded in their Gemini, even stock, they still should run a catalytic converter to comply.

Yonnee
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust and lowering Reply with quote

i have super lows with a 3.5" system. all fits well
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust and lowering.. BTW... Reply with quote

I've just lowered my TG work hack.
Cut 2 coils off the front, and three coils off a set of Commodore rears. So I'll let you know when they fail, causing me to lose control in the wet doing 140 clicks down Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd. half pissed and "hepped up on Goofballs". Cause I know it will be the springs fault... D'OH!!! Smile
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust and lowering.. BTW... Reply with quote

Lol, hepped up on goofballs, ah the simpsons, i love em.

Yeah well thanks for that Genoss, 3" will fit then with s/lows.
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust and lowering.. BTW... Reply with quote

oh, BTW Yonnee, how low did that drop it? What shockers did you fit?
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust and lowering.. BTW... Reply with quote

Still running stock shocker atm, it's only a work hack... but I have the latest Monroe catalogue so I'm going to find a vehicle with the same style of shocker as the Gem but shorter, then it's off to the wreckers with my spanners. If that works, I'll get new shockers in. If you're interested, I'll get you my results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: