HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

front brake option.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOBIL
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: front brake option. Reply with quote

Thought I should share a bit of my research that I did before i wrote off my TE. The research I did the day I wrote off my gem(feb-03)

I was speaking to my teacher about a brake conversion for the gem, I was saying things like commodore set ups and whatever. I was figuring at least $500+ with second hand parts.

My teacher races a car and has had a sh!t load of experience with cars and still races today. He was telling me that what he did with his triumph was to grab the DBA catalog and find a disc in it with the same off set as the original, but a ventilated disc with a bigger diameter. he then went down to falken an sussed out a calliper with piston diameters equivelant to the original. Looking through the book I found only a handfull of vehicle but one I found would suit. It was a disc of a late model magna (common a fnck). all that is required is redrilling of the rotor to suit the hub (easy). A small extension plate of say, 10-15mm thick steel needs to be cut as an adapter for the new calliper. If this helps anybody then best of luck.

I won't be getting a gem anytime soon. When I do, I'll do it properly... =]. more essential things to spend money on first unfortunately. =/

Hey... if you need any more info I can get a copy of the pages out of the dba catalog, next time I go to trade school. let me know if I can help with anything else
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: front brake option. Reply with quote

i THINK that is what Ben Wight was doing, he is doing something very similar, but i think he is keeping standard Gemini calipers. Should have a chat to him.
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: front brake option. Reply with quote

more info on this would be greatly apreciated. what with the fact i work in a mitsu dealership i have access to lots of cheap magna parts and could get them nice and cheap. so if you dont mind please email any info to tom_edington@yahoo.com.
thanks
spud
wishv6wish
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: front brake option. Reply with quote

find out then sell a conversion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: