HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

tacho troubles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOPSI
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: tacho troubles Reply with quote

my tacho seems to be fluctuating for some reason. It also revs very high! im talking 8000RPM's when driving which i know is bullshit. I thought it might be a bad earth so i put a wire directly to the battery and its still fucked. I thought it might be the power but the multimeter says its ok. I have checked all the connections and the wires are in the correct places.

Any other ideas? could it be the point capaciter? i was told it might be that? Thats the little cylinder on the coil right? does that connect to the + or - on the coil?
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: tacho troubles Reply with quote

the wire goes to the - side of the coil
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: tacho troubles Reply with quote

Is this an aftermarket tacho?? or the stock gemi one? If its aftermarket you have to cut the loops of wire at the back to calibrate it.
NOPSI
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: tacho troubles Reply with quote

its an aftermarket one.

Yes the wire is on the coil already. I have a cheap piece of shit tacho that i got for $50 and that works fine with all the wires however i just spent $150 on a speco tacho with a shiftlight and thats what im having problems with.

Why would i need to cut the wires on the tacho for? how do i calibrate it?
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: tacho troubles Reply with quote

sometimes on the autometer gauges you have to cut the really small wires at the back of the tacho so it knows wheather you have a 4, 6 or 8 cylender engine
LOK15
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: tacho troubles Reply with quote

instructions..
thats all i have to say.. oh and you might have a dud earth
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: tacho troubles Reply with quote

Yeah thats what i was saying. Its for calibration, the loops of wires are the same spot as where the wires come out that go to the dizzy and the earth and accessories. There will be two wires that come out and go back into the tacho, just cut em, calibration is done.
NOPSI
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: tacho troubles Reply with quote

its a speco tacho and it has an inbuilt switch for 4, 6 and 8 cylinder selection on it.

My brother the mechanic rang up speco and there was a guy there that told him to get a specific 3 amp diode and put it on the coil wire but that didnt work either.

We are sending the cluster off to get the tach re calibrated because apparently when we took the back screws out of the tacho in order to actually fit it in the cluster it might have stuffed the calibration of the tach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: