HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

suspension
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gazely
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: suspension Reply with quote

what shocks do you have in your car, and how much did they cost?
thanks
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: suspension Reply with quote

If you can get a hold of some Monroe Wiley (Wyley?) GT130's (they are an old shock, not released any more, and they are hydraulic) and get them rebuilt (I read a mag article a couple of months ago and this cost about $130 a pair), they will make your car handle better than most brand-new shock on sale. These were used in many cars in the Isuzu car club and never had aproblem with foaming (even while racing).
gazely
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: suspension Reply with quote

yeah im looking at getting HARD suspension, on a pritty tight budget, whats the cheapest (and hardest) shocks?
not into 2nd hand stuff....
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: suspension Reply with quote

I said get them rebuilt which is like having brand new ones, These would by far the best option if you are on a tight budget. Although I have heard pedders shocks are bone rattling.
gazely
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: suspension Reply with quote

How much are they for 4?

thanks
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: suspension Reply with quote

Why do you want such hard suspension might I ask?
gazely
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: suspension Reply with quote

cause i dont want girls in my car
haha nah...
cause my bro's vl had it and it was mint, isnt it ment to be better for dragging to?

can you get harder and lower shocks without changing the springs?
thanks
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: suspension Reply with quote

hmmmm, firstly, you can't get lower shocks for a gemini... Gemini's have what's called double wish bone suspension, with which the coil spring determines the ride height.... VL's and lots of other cars have what's called mc-phearson struts, where the spring and shocky is encased in one unit and you get lower struts...

Secondly, unless you have something ridiculous in your car (worked rotary, turbo, or a VCool you won't notice any difference with your drags by getting really hard suspension... but if you do have one of those engine combinations or are planning to, you will want to think about getting a ladder bar/4 link rear end put into the back of your car and that can be tuned for better launches in dragging... but that's a whole other ball game!

Also, with hard suspension you run the risk of cracking your chassis due to the stress placed on it from bumps in the road...

Also also with hard suspension you will lose handling because our roads aren't completely smooth and going round a corner and hitting the inevitable bumps in the road will cause you car to lose road holding and skip across the road, not good...
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: suspension Reply with quote

Also, you would notice the difference in your bro's VL between stock and hard suspension with draggin etc for 2 reasons

1) VL's came with softer suspension from factory than gemini's, so it's a bigger difference between stock and hard
2) VL's are a lot heavier than gemini's so harder suspension will play a more vital role in a launch, but it's still the wrong way to go about it really
gazely
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: suspension Reply with quote

ohhk, cheers for the info....

so i should get springs for a start, seeming im on a tight budget?
can any springs fit in gemis? meaning kingz, pedders etc...
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: suspension Reply with quote

king springs and pedders both make springs to fit in gemini's, yes
gazely
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: suspension Reply with quote

what can i do from bouncing all over the road like i do no with soft suspension?
ive got 17's....
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: suspension Reply with quote

get some good shockies that aren't too hard and aren't too soft Wink

Since you are on a tight budget I assume koni adjustables are out of the question? ($800 for 4)

Try some Munroe GT Gas or something, they are $135 a pair
gazely
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: suspension Reply with quote

my budget is about 1200?
how much are springs??

what else would i need, like camber kit n shit? how much are those?
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: suspension Reply with quote

springs are around $145 a pair for lowered king springs...

Whiteline used to make a camber kit years ago, don't know if they still do or not, but it wouldn't really be required unless you are going to race your car a lot (on a track, not street race).

It wouldn't hurt to fit all nolathane/non rubber bushes to the whole car, that improves handling a bit... costs around $500 for the parts if you do it yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: