HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

RB Gemmy Elec. Ignition Transplant!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: RB Gemmy Elec. Ignition Transplant! Reply with quote

Ok,
So, from what i understand i need the "guts" out of an rb gemmy's dizzy, then i take the points etc. out of my dizzy and bolt the rb stuff in. Cool so far?

Next, i can use an bosch external module out of falcons etc.? Then do i just then take out the internal module from the rb dizzy? Does this require any extra wiring?

Next, apparantly if doing the rb gemmy guts transplant the reluctor gets out of phase with the poles in the dizzy cap. I hear i can fix this by using the rb gemmy dizzy cap, can anyone confirm this? If not, how exactly do i "remove the reluctor with a puller, & reinstall it 45 degrees around".

Ok, by this stage all else i need is the coil (Electronic, for use without ballast resistor)

Cool, now i should have electronic ignition going, but will the timing still be right? Or is that made redundant by the use of electronic ignition? Because i just had my car on the dyno (CBF FIDDLING WITH TIMING) and dont want to have to get it on there again.

I heard i can now use bosch super four spark plugs? What make/model should i get them for?

What else can i do now to make more use of the electronic ignition?

Would getting the dizzy recurved for my engine still be a good idea, or is this also of no use as it has been converted to electronic ignition?

Do i still run vacuum advance?

Sorry for the long post, reply's from those who have done the/similar conversions would be fantastic

Thanks,
Jus
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: RB Gemmy Elec. Ignition Transplant! Reply with quote

Hey I was gonna start the same conversion this w/e but I been too busy. I heard that if you use the RB cap then you'll be fine and you wont have to move the shaft. Yes you still need to use vacum advance and Yes you "could" get the dizzy regraphed but only if you run premium unleaded and your engine is worked (cam, exhaust ect ect)
Cuz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: RB Gemmy Elec. Ignition Transplant! Reply with quote

Cool, i wont be getting the funds together for a while, so if you get it done let me know how it goes.

How much do you think it would be to get the dizzy regraphed coz i have all you listed and more done to my engine? I heard you can pick up about 5 more hp and a smoother/better power band.

Anyone else to share their comments on my original post?

Loz, you seem to know alot about the conversion.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: RB Gemmy Elec. Ignition Transplant! Reply with quote

Probley only take an hour to gragraph a dizzy but when I rang up about it the guy said I gotta know what I want the dizzy to do. No good giving it to him without him knowing what the advance curve has to be. For example:
12 degrees @ 1200rpm
20 degrees @ 2000rpm

Shit like that but on a performance engine you want max advance as soon as your can get it. I know that with my stock points dizzy atm I have 14 degrees advance at idle and 38 degrees total at 4000rpm. It's not really about having a smooth accelaration but you will notice a difference with the conversion i'm sure. I can pick up a RB dizzy for about $40 over here in WA but you just gotta find the dumb cunts and convince them they are worth fuck all =)
Cuz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: RB Gemmy Elec. Ignition Transplant! Reply with quote

So, with the advance curve, how will i know what i want it to be, or is this something this the dyno guys should have told me?
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: RB Gemmy Elec. Ignition Transplant! Reply with quote

yerp. did they tell u to get an electric dizzy?
Cuz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: RB Gemmy Elec. Ignition Transplant! Reply with quote

Nah, but i just like the sounds of such a cheap and easy performance/maintenance gain
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: RB Gemmy Elec. Ignition Transplant! Reply with quote

Whoever tuned the car, especially if they can tune aftermarket EFI, should no what the curve should be for the dizzy.
Depending on the compression though, I would limit it to early 30's for total advance, otherwise it will start to ping.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: RB Gemmy Elec. Ignition Transplant! Reply with quote

You need everything that sits on the base plate of the RB dizzy. When you rip apart the gemini one you should be able to see how the RB stuff will bolt into where the breaker plate was.

If your going to use an external module, you need to remove the internal one (just a couple of screws), disconnect the two wires going from the reluctor pickup to it, and the extend them so that they are long enough to reach where ever you are going to mount the module. I would suggest maybe getting a piece of L shaped alluminium and mounting the module on there and then that to the car (it seems to earth better).

You can use the modules out of falcons etc or early carbied magnas (they are very cheap and easy to get), but now I would say get one out of a camira (BIM 027) as if you decided to go efi and aftermarket ecu, they are easier. But the other will work just as good.

You can use other caps to correct the offset, cant remember which ones though. Just take the gemi one in and find one that is 45deg different.

Get a new bosch electronic coil (about $40 new).
Once you take the gemi dizzy out no matter how hard you try, it will be very hard to get the timing back to how it was, but it isnt too hard once its in and running if you have a timing light.
The initial timing WILL still need to be set.

Dont know about the plugs, but i wouldnt use them anyway, iridiums are much better.

Thats about all you can do, unless you get an ignition computer to control it precisely.

You still run the vacuum advance aswell.

Anything else you wanna know??

Loz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: