HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Turbo Gem peoples

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Turbo Gem peoples Reply with quote

Lightened flywheel's are they worth it? How much did they set you back?

What clutch's are you using, brass button, ceramic, heavy duty? I want something that isn't going to be an absolute cunt to push in, but something that will handle the load.

Gilmer drives, do they have any performance affect on engines, or are they just for the sound? Because of the toothed belt i would think they would add a slight performance aspect.

Thanks guys. And i'm not sorry for the long post, if you think its too long you shouldn't have read it, sucka's.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem peoples Reply with quote

litghtened flywheel I have but would prob not recomend for a turbo application as you don't have the torque down low like NA setup's.

Clutch - I use a 4 puck Brass button sprung center it's a little rough once it get's warm but you can still ride it if needed.

Glimer belt; how do you see it would give you any performace gain... if anything it would give a reduction in hp, due to the thicker belt having to flex and also to mech with the teeth ie. noise means loss of power. particulaly when you are only usuing it to run a water pump and alternator.
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem peoples Reply with quote

witht eh belts its more for reliablitly they dont snap or anythying like that
also hande the rpm better than a normal v belt
they also dont slip
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem peoples Reply with quote

yeah well thats what i was thinking because they are a toothed belt it would have less slippage, but yeah only driving an altenator and water pump its not gonna help the performance.

GasGem - are you running that clutch on a turbo set up, and how much did it cost you?
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem peoples Reply with quote

Gilmer drive on a high HP gemini=dont waste your money.
The belts you get for them are pretty shit, and wont last. I know of two people who have had them on a turbo and a blown gemini, and they both went through several belts, all because under load they the teeth a shit and get stresses and eventually chew off afew teeth and start ripping the belt apart. And unless you are planning on carrying a spare aournd everywhere, then its risky. Its not like in the middle of knowwhere you can rock into a servo and ask for a gilmer belt.
The reason they are used on big hp v8's is because they are used heaps and there is alot of them, they are made as a much higher quality belt.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem peoples Reply with quote

As for the flywheel. I would say no aswell. Mine was shaved a bit, and then balanced with the rest of the internals, but nothing major. You dont need it too be light and revvy anyway, a turbo will make it rev much quicker than a lightened flywheel anyway.
Clutch, well I have a daiken solid centre and a heavy pressure plate. I guess it holds well, it is pretty heaving too, but not the worst I have driven. And its not quite a full button either so it is a bit easier to drive and can be slipped "a little".
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem peoples Reply with quote

I meant to say semi solid centre for the clutch. Its springs are very narrow and dont provide much chance to slip before engaging.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem peoples Reply with quote

around $200 for clutch presureplate and flywheel machined

retail price...

cheers
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem peoples Reply with quote

most decent places that make their own clutches, can make ones that can handle load but aint savage to drive.

i paid 500 for a 5 puck ceramic clutch with modded springs blah blah and custom pressure plate

gilmers dont produce more power, tossers put them on for sound, but the main purpose of them is to stop belt slipage on supercharged engines
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: