HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

creak noise in front suspension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparrow
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: creak noise in front suspension Reply with quote

A mate has creak noise in his front left suspension. The car makes the noise when taking off, braking and on bumpy roads. The balls joints have been replaced, new wheel barings (inner and outer) have been replaced and the control arm bushes are all good still.

The noise seems to be coming more from where the front end bolts on to the chasis. Anyone had a similar noise ?? What is it !!
tassiete
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: creak noise in front suspension Reply with quote

i had the same problem it was the swaybar bushes(were its clamped to the body) the rubber was real dry and old every time the swaybar moved at all it would creak,i replaced everything else before i found it. replace them or do it the cheap way and take them off and put grease between swaybar and the rubber(it works)
GEMTEC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: creak noise in front suspension Reply with quote

yep! i agree. some thing happened to mine, and i took the...ummmm....cheap way out, i just greased the fuck out of them. thats going on nearly a year ago and they havent made a noise.
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: creak noise in front suspension Reply with quote

How EZ is it 2 change a swaybar ? I just got a whiteline one offa swap meet, and want to get it on my gemmi asap. do u have to undo balljoints or anything ? or is it a peice o piss ?
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: creak noise in front suspension Reply with quote

4 bolts and 2 nuts. If it takes you longer than 1/2 hour, you're either pissed or got your eyes shut! Or both. Smile
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: creak noise in front suspension Reply with quote

mine makes a clunking noise when taking off when i come to a complete stop it will clonk
i think mine my ball joints though
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: creak noise in front suspension Reply with quote

this is no shit just spray some rp7 or wd40 on it. carlos's(blue tc)car use to do it bad and we sprayed rp7 on it and BBOOOOOOOOOOMMM!!!!! it was gone
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: creak noise in front suspension Reply with quote

Most clunks when taking off and stopping end up being phucked engine mounts. Have a look-see if the mount rubber is rooted. If it isn't then *shrugs*.....
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: creak noise in front suspension Reply with quote

Coolies, i'll give it a go with a couple of brewskies and take it for a strap to see how she takes corners at 90kph. Less bodyroll is good bodyroll : o )
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: creak noise in front suspension Reply with quote

well the clunks initialy started when goign around corners hard comming from the left front

im sure it was the wheel i will have a closer look tonight
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: creak noise in front suspension Reply with quote

eyes - used to look with
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: creak noise in front suspension Reply with quote

my grand dads sigma takes corners at 90
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: creak noise in front suspension Reply with quote

Wicked man !!! Does he take them at 90 or do u ? There's some hell drift spots out towards Cunungra on deserted back roads, theres corners signed at 30kph and the fastest i got up 2 was 95kph with the tail hangin out doin its thing.
Theres one corner in particular that alot of drifas meet at out there, its signed at 50kph. i saw some mean mother 130kph drifts there by S15's and a MR2, but the best i cuold do was 105 in the gem-gem, and that was fangin the jeebus out of it.
hey wait a min, r u bein a smartarse about takin corners at 90 ? ;oP I'm talkin bloody sharp apexes duder, not a lesurly sweeping right signed at 80kph. SurprisedD
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: creak noise in front suspension Reply with quote

That sounds like ball joints GROOV3. The problem is dry BJ's and no grease nipples to lube em with. Only real answer is to replace them once they get to that stage. I have found a top BJ that is somewhat different. It has a grease nipple and it has elongated holes to mount it which allows camber adjustment. The sample I have was removed from a Gemini and regular BJ's were put back in. My local brake workshop spotted them as different and hung onto one knowing I'd be interested. Just have to see if I can source them now.
I'm looking for lower joints that are greasable too. No more sealed units.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: