HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

ATTN: Hop a long, Sneaky

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: ATTN: Hop a long, Sneaky Reply with quote

Hop a long - Checked the fuel filter, from what youve described i think its "wet" (the filter is 1/4 full of fuel)

Sneak - What type of wire do i use in place of the fuel pump resistor?

cheers
Nick-
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Hop a long, Sneaky Reply with quote

Fuel filter should be full, the fuel flows through that and out the top of the hose that goes to your carby...

Therefore you either have a faulty fuel pump, or there is a blockage in your lines (it may not be a complete blockage, which would be why it gets petrol overnight if parked on a hill etc, but is blocked enough to stop engine from running)

I personally reckon it's your pump
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Hop a long, Sneaky Reply with quote

I dont think the fuel pump is faulty, because when connected to a power supply it has absolutely no trouble flowing fuel to the carby. This also cancels out any blockage theories. Personally im pretty sure its an elec-power related to the pump - its like its not getting any power.

Thnx for the help
Nick-
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Hop a long, Sneaky Reply with quote

use a test lamp or a multimeter and see if the wire going to the pump has power, if stock wiring it should be wired to the alternator meaning it will only pump/have power if the engine turning/running... it seems that a lot of gemini's have been changed so that the pump has power via a relay that when the key is in the 'on' position the pump runs...
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Hop a long, Sneaky Reply with quote

I had a look at the wire going through it and used a piece of electrical wire that was a slightly thicker gauge.
As long as the electrical wire is happy to handle 12 volts then it will be fine.
Did you get someone to start & idle the car while you where in the boot with a mutlimeter on the fuel pump ? It will show how much voltage is being supplied to the pump, and whether it's definately a power supply problem to the pump.
The first time i did this mod, i just twisted the wires together. It wasn't getting proper contact as i had grease and crap on my hands, the fuel bowl kept running dry and had me tearing my hair out.
When i stripped the wire back, connected all the terminals and insulated the whole thing properly, it was good as gold again. So just make sure all connections are done well with good insulation for maximum contact and current flow, and your hands aren't as dirty as Michael Jackson at one of his 'sleep-overs'.

S N 3 A K Y
HOP_A_LONG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Hop a long, Sneaky Reply with quote

Well said Robbo
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Hop a long, Sneaky Reply with quote

acording to rob maybe your alternator isnt making enough power if it is conected to it

but yeah sounds like a wiring issue some where
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Hop a long, Sneaky Reply with quote

Whatever the reason it's not working, wiring or not, you have to check if the pump has power when the car is on, or running...
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Hop a long, Sneaky Reply with quote

Ok, removed the fuel pump series resistor today and replaced it with a wire and soldered all the joints etc....and erm nothing.

When checking pump voltage with a multimetre, the car would have to be running because the pump runs off the alternator correct?

Fuck i hate wiring...
Nick-
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: Hop a long, Sneaky Reply with quote

Yes the car does have to be idling.

S N 3 A K Y
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: