HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Remote Booster Brake Set Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OTD 079
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Remote Booster Brake Set Up Reply with quote

Guys,
I am about to embark my SR20 installation. I have most of the components that I need, but I want to install a remote vacuum booster brake set up to position the motor as far back as possible.

I have had a look at 2 other SR powered geminis, one had remote booster, the other had standard gemini brakes. With the standard booster set up the engine had to be positioned too far forward for my liking.

Searching the forum I found reference to VH44?? remote booster. Has anyone used this set up at all or know about them?

Thanks,
Matthew
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Booster Brake Set Up Reply with quote

IDAREU2 uses one im pretty sure he has it set up under the guard. You can use this site for an outline on how to do it. http://www.stormloader.com/falconccwa/brakehint.htm
OTD 079
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: ATTN: IDAREU2 Re: Remote Booster Brake Set Up Reply with quote

Hey IDAREU2 what did master cylinder did you use to bolt up to the gemini firewall?

Thanks for the website link Stock TE.

Matthew
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: IDAREU2 Re: Remote Booster Brake Set Up Reply with quote

Have a talk to hopper stoppers, they can help you out with what you need to do, and can even supply you the parts that you require... Peter at hopper stoppers is a very helpful legend.
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Forget that.... Reply with quote

Im just gonna get a Custom Plenum made up from an S13 as the runners come from the top, not under,

and if you make it triangular you will clear the booster and cylinder, also put the throttle body hard against Plenum and easier intercooler pipes, straight into the hole next to the radiator,

i can see it now.....

OTC 020 vs OTD 079
OTD 079
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Forget that.... Reply with quote

The motor I have is from an S13 180SX. It has the curvey intake manifold with the throttle body down low and at an angle.

I have thought about a custom intake manifold, but I am trying to keep the costs down. I figured that a remote booster will maybe cost a couple of hundred dollars and a custom intake $1000.
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Forget that.... Reply with quote

My mate OSR 020 - Blue 1600

is gonna make me a Plenum up for $600,

yer it does do the job, has held 24psi and has over 300hp @ the treadlies with a near stock motor,
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Forget that.... Reply with quote

mine is a TX gemini master cylinder with a remote VH44 booster from a valiant, that is tucked away under the right front guard just behind the head light, there is also a VH40 which is bigger if you cant find the VH44.
OTD 079
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Forget that.... Reply with quote

Did you find an old gemini without vacuum assisted brakes and used that master cylinder. Or did you mount the normal master cylinder to the fire wall and make up a custom rod to connect to the brake pedal?

Cheers,
Matthew
OTD 079
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Forget that.... Reply with quote

Custom made so clear brake booster, and clutch reservoir?
Do you think he would be keen in possibly making another for a slightly higher price than mates rates of course?
Matthew
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Forget that.... Reply with quote

Correct!

The Plenum will be in a triangular for, so it clears the Booster and Master Cylinder, meaning the apex will be to the rear, utilising the S13 manifold, he will cut them to a suitable length and weld on the new custom plenum, the throttle bosy will be pressed hard to the left so when air enters the plenum it will run along the far edge of the chamber, no 1 cylinder will not get all the air and no4 wont starve,

im sure that he will have no probs in making another one,

he is in the process of making one for 40RST Yellow Stanza, and makes Fuel rails, maybe expensive though, but thats when you get fittings for it, Gene!!!
OTD 079
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Forget that.... Reply with quote

I don't think the clearance problem is with the plenum. It appears to be with the intake runners (especially #2 & #4).
The #4 runner interfers with the booster and limits how far back the motor can be positioned in the engine bay, #2 runner comes very close to the master cylinder (requiring slight grinding of both to give only like 1mm clearance between them)

When will he be starting on the gemini SR manifold cos I would like to see it before I start making engine mounts etc. I am hopefully starting my install over xmas break.

Matthew
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Forget that.... Reply with quote

well ive just back my commodore diff, and awaiting my hopper stoppers kit, once the diff is full fitted with links and i got my wheels,

im rollin it to his house and puttin the SR on the ground and the car and say i want this into that, and i want a end tanks on my cooler, i supply of course, and a plenum and a rail, this is happening over christmas hopefully, not on his leisure time tho Smile

i could get him show you it, he ususally goes down the coast,

http://www.turbophile.com/gallery/jamboree_2002/2_1600s_front.jpg
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Forget that.... Reply with quote

OTD 079
Did you find an old gemini without vacuum assisted brakes and used that master cylinder. Or did you mount the normal master cylinder to the fire wall and make up a custom rod to connect to the brake pedal?

I was just walking around a wrecking yard when I found a TX with one and no booster so I grabbed it, you could do the same with any of them like you say, you then have to shorten the shaft if you use a boost assisted one.

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: