HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Yes i dropped something into in SUMP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Yes i dropped something into in SUMP! Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Changing the head gasket and fucken idiot me thought i quiclky get one head bolt in before i call it quits for the night, forgot the plug the timing chain orofice and the allen key socket for the head bolts fell down there! Fuck!

Anyway, i looked down ther and cannot see it at all, does that suggest it is actually in the sump?

Looks like i'll be taking the engine out but just to make sure, is there anything special you need to do to get the sump off?

Ie. It it just bolted to the block and nothing else is attached to it, eg oil pump, timing chain shit etc? The whole thing just unbolts and comes off right?

And if it is not in the sump, will i be able to see up into where the timiong chain is to see if it is in there?

Answers and advice will be greatly appreciated
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes i dropped something into in SUMP! Reply with quote

what you can try first if it s allen key thats attracted to magnets is get one on a peice of strang a prety strong one lower it down and see if it picks it up

if not you will have to remove the sump which i belive you cant do with out removeing the engine or atleast jacking it up
tassiete
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes i dropped something into in SUMP! Reply with quote

sumps easy to get off,nothing is atached to it,gust unbolt it of the block,if you lift engine up off mounts you should be able to get it off without taking engine out.theres not much room to see up into the timing chain even with the sump off.before i did anything i would get a torch and one off thosr long magnets and poke it down to see if you can fish it out if its still there.try taking timming cover off then use magnet to fish for it in sump
Cuz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes i dropped something into in SUMP! Reply with quote

i was thinking about the magnet but it looks like even if i did get it attached i wouldn't be able to get it back up the orrifice with out it dropping off again.

If it fell stright down into the sump would itstay directly where it fell or slide into the middle of the sump?

Does the sump just unbolt? I've taken the engine out heaps of times so i will do that to get it off, but i just wanna know it's a simple unbolt
Cuz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes i dropped something into in SUMP! Reply with quote

Cool, but if i cant see it anwhere around the timing chain etc (I can see down to the lower sprocket) and i'm assuming it has gone down further, does that mean it is in the sump?

Is there anywhere else under the lower timing chain sprocket it could go?
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Yes i dropped something into in SUMP! Reply with quote

No, it's in your sump
Cuz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes i dropped something into in SUMP! Reply with quote

Ok, so looks like i'll be getting the engine crane tomorow.

What does everyone suggest, taking the motor out (Won't be a hassle as a pro at it now Smile ) or will it be quicker/easier just to lift the engine so i can get clearance to get the sump off?

If i just lift the engine i'm assuming i'd still have to take the tailshaft, speedo cable, clutch cable etc off so i may aswell take the whole engine out yeah?

Also, the engine does not have the head on so where/how can i attach the chains for the crane?
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes i dropped something into in SUMP! Reply with quote

if our getting a engine crane take the whole engine out. that mean you will have to dissconnect the speedo cable clutch cable and tail shaft aswell as fuel lines and exhuast manifold and gearbox mount.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: