HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

POP QUIZ results. Hones' engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: POP QUIZ results. Hones' engine Reply with quote

Did the compression test today.

1st plug approx. 160
2nd plug approx. 160
3rd plug approx. 195
4th plug approx. 145

Looked under oil cap and yes there is a milky substance but by judging from the compression i would say the head gasket has gone goodbye.

So ill book it in for new head gasket and i might get the hardness checked in the head.

btw motor is 1600 bored 40 thou and therefore 1800.
Hones
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: POP QUIZ results. Hones' engine Reply with quote

I did a BMW six motor once and all cylinders were under 130psi the worst one was 56psi
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: POP QUIZ results. Hones' engine Reply with quote

hones your motor isnt a 1800 your motor is a 1600 plus 40 thou
for a 1600 to be a 1800 have a 80 thou bore and 7mm extra stroke.
GEMTEC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: POP QUIZ results. Hones' engine Reply with quote

bah, doesnt beat my last motor. it was a stock 1600 and it read out 120, 120, 30, 120 in that sequence. out it came
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: POP QUIZ results. Hones' engine Reply with quote

Faark, I know thats worse, but the beemer costs 3 or 4 times more to fix, maybe more.
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: POP QUIZ results. Hones' engine Reply with quote

Sorry mate. Whoever told you it was 1800cc has been having a piece of you. Try 1623cc.

First, Look at your spark plugs. The cylinder/s with the clean plugs will be the one/s with water leaking into them. You may find a pair of clean plugs side by side. This could indicate a blown head gasket between two cylinders. Finding number four alone clean may not be so good.
Once you remove the head, the head gasket will show a sign where the failure has occured. Have a GOOD look to see if the water jacket is still intact in the back two water passages because you can bet on the water gallery being corroded through on Gemini heads if number four is down like you state with water in the oil.
Next, if the head looks intact, get it checked for warpage.

Hardness is the last thing to worry about. Do all the other checks before a hardness test. It shouldn't have softened if it hasn't been seriously overheated.

If the head is warped get it resurfaced. It should ideally not vary more than 0.05mm. If it varies more than 0.4mm look for a replacement head.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: POP QUIZ results. Hones' engine Reply with quote

thanks mate.

now thats service!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: