HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

what sparkplugs and oil etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gazely
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: what sparkplugs and oil etc Reply with quote

lookin at doing/getting some new sparkplugs, leads and oil change soon.
question is, what sparkplugs leads and oil should i use?
and is it worth running ultimate in my gem?
its stock. thanks.
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: what sparkplugs and oil etc Reply with quote

As far as leads, there's about a dozen different brands that people swear by - Eagle, Top Gun, Repco, Bosch just to name a few. Try to stick with an 8-9mm core thickness, it's perfectly fine for stock to mild set-ups. Thicker would be overkill.
For spark-plugs, i generally always use NGK BP6ES, i have never used Champion or any other brands so i dont know what they're like in comparison. I've been happy with the NGK's, so i have no reason to switch brands. If your engine is a little tired and burns a bit of oil, then use NGK BP5ES plugs. They have a slightly higher heat rating to help burn the oil from excessive blow-by.
And lastly oil... I use nothing but and highly recommend Penrite HPR30 20/60. If your engine is a little noisy and abused, then i'd use Penrite HPR40 25/70. I'm assuming you're going to fit a new oil filter with the oil change. I recently pulled the head off my G200, and after 3 years of repetitive abuse i discovered my bores looked virtually near new. The cross-hatch hone markings look as though they were done a week ago, testament to this oil having outstanding protection qualities. But then again, i religously service my car every twelve weeks. So i guess that also explains the overall health of my engine.
For their cheap price, i'd also suggest replacing the points, dizzy cap, rotor button and air filter. Think of it as cheap reliability insurance.

S N 3 A K Y
gazely
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: what sparkplugs and oil etc Reply with quote

cheers sn3aky
what size are the standard gemini leads?

it was a toss up between castrol and penrite.

thanks.
kelvin
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: what sparkplugs and oil etc Reply with quote

tey the spitfire twin spark plugs there about $12 each but well worth the money spent and come with a life time warranty and oil use penrite hpr 50 it about $36 but well worth the money too
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: what sparkplugs and oil etc Reply with quote

i use NGK's but i dont mind using champion golds. i recommend top gun 8mm leads.
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: what sparkplugs and oil etc Reply with quote

HPR50 40/70 would be way too thick. The lighter weight of the 30 would free up a few extra horsepower and protect perfectly fine. I'd only recommend the 50 if you had an old pre 1980 V8 with big clearances, or if your engine munched it's oil excessively and was rattly as all phuck. Both the Penrite rep we use and the product catalogue recommend HPR30 for all Gemini's from TX through to TG.

S N 3 A K Y
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: