HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Gear Box Noise...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasabi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Gear Box Noise... Reply with quote

when in neutral, I lift my foot off the clutch and this mass grinding noise comes from inside the gearbox, is this the thrust bearing? or something else...??

Also, how much work is it to replace the whole rear axle in a wagon/ I have mega backlash in mine and whenever the wheels spin, say in the wet, theres just a mass of thumping that comes from the rear... And it also thumps hard if I change gears quickly... Its crap

Wasabiż
MissPinkGemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Box Noise... Reply with quote

Its the main bearing thats your problem. Mine used to do it too. Where as you can easily replace the thrust bearing when the gearbox is out the main bearing replacement actually requires you tear the whole damn thing apart to get to it. Have you replaced the thrust bearing?
Wasabi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Box Noise... Reply with quote

Nope, I havent replaced it or anything....could it possibly be the clutch plate? Could that be stuffed aswell??

wasabiż
MissPinkGemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Box Noise... Reply with quote

i dont know about that one... I got a new clutch kit at the same time as i got all the bearings replaced. And the noise disappeared. Could have been a combo of things...
GEMTEC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Box Noise... Reply with quote

theres a good chance that it would be your throw-out bearing mate. by the sounds of how you describe it, im pretty sure. If it is, it can easily be replaced. but just make sure that when its time to replace it, you replace all three items (clutch plate, presure, and throw out bearing) because it will save you time in the longrun. i think a replacement clutch kit is around the $120 mark from autobarn.
cheers
MissPinkGemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Box Noise... Reply with quote

My mate got a replacement PBR clutch kit from Rocca Brothers/Supercheap $68!
GEMTEC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Box Noise... Reply with quote

oh tru? thats an alright price. was that a trade in with the old pressure plate though? but the again, that goes to show how much of a rip off merchant autobarn really is! hahaha
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Gear Box Noise... Reply with quote

Most likely it's a bearing in the gearbox. It could be a mainshaft bearing or an input shaft bearing.

It could also be a clutch throwout bearing if the clutch in incorrectly adjusted and never disengages. This bearing should be inactive when the clutch pedal is not being pressed.

One bearing often forgotten is the clutch shaft pilot bearing (spiggot bearing) thats pressed into the end of the crankshaft. This is unlikely to be your problem but if you change the gearbox, replace this one too.

If a bearing inside the box turns out being the culprit, it's probably time to replace all the bearings. It will probably be more economical to replace the gearbox with another second hand one.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: