HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Gene - brakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YLD GEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Gene - brakes Reply with quote

You wrote:
"hopper stopers emailed me saying they have a full kit now, (front rear and booster)"

Well i emailed them and got this

"Shane, the base Gemini brake kit comes with smooth rotors at $770 for 4 stud & $690 for 5 stud pattern. Add $160 for slotted rotors and a further $50 for drilled & slotted rotors. The kit comes with everything needed for the front disc conversion including instructions. You will need to be able to weld on a couple of new bump stops onto the lower wishbones and also the mastercylinder change required is not addressed or supplied in the kit.
Master cylinder choice depends on your engine, The original Gemini booster with XA master will be fine as long as it clears your engine. Commodore V6 engine will not allow this to be used and we use a land cruiser master cylinder with a remote booster for this application.
No we do not offer VK/VL upgrade to Gemini.

Regards Ken"

So do they offer the kits or not??
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Gene - brakes Reply with quote

i have a email in my email saying they can do front and rear disk with a aster upgrade
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Gene - brakes Reply with quote

According to an email I got, they do supply *parts* you need for a rear upgrade, ie the VL disks and calipers etc, but it's not a kit because you still have to weld on the little bracket for the hand brake cable etc. So you can get the parts, but you could get the parts anywhere.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gene - brakes Reply with quote

By that logic then the fronts arent supplied as a kit either, as you have to enlarge the steering stop via welding. A little plastic model car KIT comes with all the parts, but you still have to glue it together.
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gene - brakes Reply with quote

Hehe, oh well

The truth still remains that I was told that they can supply all the parts for a rear upgrade for a Gem
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Why dont you.... Reply with quote

Get a commodore housing and a gemini housing,

find a diff shop

send them both diffs with the commodore axels, tell them to shorten the commodore diff and the axels, get them to MIG weld the gemini mounting brackets (spring buckets, sway bar/shock/panhard rod mounts,

all for $450 for the conversion, and keep it 5 stud and get the front brake from hopper stoppers leave it 5 stud and get commodore wheels,

Yes the conversion is possible, i just had it done, yes i have seen 17x7.5 commodore wheels on a Gem

you need top links after that, so look for a place as well

options:
get taller diff gears,
replace all bearings,
clean the thing up

regards
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Why dont you.... Reply with quote

Well if thats the case how did you go about the torque tube?
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Why dont you.... Reply with quote

hahah thats what i said
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Why dont you.... Reply with quote

;P I wonder if it's worth keeping the torque tube and like making some sort of twin bushed pivot point where the normal rubber one is... like use nothane or something so the diff only moves up and down and maybe side to side but only like 10mm ... fuck knows. I gotta make up a jig and work some shite out. You recon i should start with a VN-VR diff gene? They are common and easy to get parts for?
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Why dont you.... Reply with quote

fuck the torque tube off all togeterh, thats the main reason im gettng a conversion done when i can afford it.

run a 4 link or laddar bar

BlueTC's idea is good and he has done it all but he stil have another $1000 to spend just fitting it to the car (ie 4 link or laddar bar)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: