HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Turbo Gem Power
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: WHAT THE FUCK WOULD I KNOW Reply with quote

your a smoker mate. i take it u havent seen the black n/a 1800 gemini wagon runing 11's

just cos ya dole money can only get u in the 17's dont mean other ppl cant do it.

i have 2 mates runing low 13's n/a geminis and to do that u need around 150-160rwkw. so there cars run 13's so im pritty sure there got around 150-160rwkw.
my 100rwkw got mid 15's.

but hey, with all this what the fuck would i kow anyways. i forgot, geminis can only get 70rwkw and thats it no matter what u do thats it. and why is that? cos fucking Bugle said so, and everyone kows what he says myste be the truth cos the fucking earth evolves around him
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem Power Reply with quote

Ok Guys,
Thanks for the input Surprised) To answer a couple of questions first. Yes it is the std engine and turbo. The car is going back to Maryborough QLD.

The next thing that I wanted to say was that wasn't meant to be a pissing contest. Gene, Thomas (Bugle) is a friend of mine and I would appreciate it is you didn't use a difference of opinion as an excuse to flame on of my friends. I think that his question about the dyno results to be a vailid one. The statement that you made about your G180 making 100rwkw would have meant in laymans terms that it was making roughly 180hp at the flywheel. To do that on a single carb is not impossible but deifinetly hard to achieve for $1200 of engine build. As for the cars that are making 150rwkw that equates to roughly 250hp at the flywheel while again this is possible it is out of reach for the average person cost wise. This is the second turbo Gem that I have had the pleasure of working on. The first was my brother in laws which is fitted with an FJ20. This one holds it own quite well against that one. For those of you that are interested it was dynoed at Redcliffe dyno by Steve. Again I open that offer for anyone that has questions about the conversion to hit me up while I can still take photos ect.

Finally my motivation behine the piazza turbo????

I got the complete car for $200. It was a budget conversion from the start and I had no intention of trying to break speed records. The added torque provided by the turbo makes it very nice to drive also.

An observation that I have made during my time in this forum if there are about 95% of people that will talk on topics as an authority be when pressed will reveal that they have either read it somewhere or know someones brother's cousin that has done it. The other 5% are the ones that have done the work thenselves and are the ones like Ben and Adam that provide the backbone to this web community. Thomas (bugle) also falls into this catagory when it comes to piazza engine's.

For those that have taken the time to read this I hope that you have got something out of it. For those of you that wonder about my qualifications I am a workshop manager with a Mechanical engineering degree and I am also a member of the Institure of Engineers. So feel free to ask any question.

Cheers
Paul
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem Power Reply with quote

im not hanging piss on him, just the fact that he is ignorant tot he fact it is posbale.

my engine was parts at cost price and free laybour. not hard
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem Power Reply with quote

ohh and the whole insurance question was not some smart ass thing, i genuinly wanted to know Wink

cheers gene
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: WHAT THE FUCK WOULD I KNOW Reply with quote

Don't have to start personal attacks just because I question these claims you have no proof to back up.. Grow up.
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem Power Reply with quote

Alright i'll accept the fact that it might be possible at that price with free labour and cheap parts..
But to get 150rwkw it'd have to be cheaper to just turbo it?
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: WHAT THE FUCK WOULD I KNOW Reply with quote

hmm cos i sold the car 2 years ago mate. obviosly i cant
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem Power Reply with quote

if u want a reliable turbo it will cost a bit
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem Power Reply with quote

Im a member of the IEA aswell, and I have a turbo gemini.
I wonder how many other members have turbo geminis.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: My gem on the dyno aswell Reply with quote

100hp at the rear is pretty good on low boost.
As it happens my car finally had its run in tune finished today. Was turning the rollers at about 90kW, on a bit more than 5.5psi, and only reving softly to a max of 5000rpm. So when its run in and tuned for max power, and reving to 7500rpm, and on 18psi, it should make good power. Mind you the 90kw was just the load the dyno was set to for the tuning, and it was turning it pretty easily at that. So the real power it is making at the moment should be alot more than that. Anyway Im happy.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem power Reply with quote

My G161 turbo straight LPG setup at 13PSI makes 210 Rear wheel HP, now running a different milder cam and higher boost it is more drivable and just as quick, But 150 rear wheel kw is a big ask,

Gene how about some details of these setups???

well done on the cheap Piazza conversion, and Loz you must be very happy to finally have your gem on the road.

cheers
Eggy
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem power Reply with quote

dunno what the 13second fellas are runing?? one bought his engine from sams performance the other he built himself

mine was just my old blue gemini engine
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem power Reply with quote

by the way it appears my old G200 with twins 40mm s/draft webers and high comp is for sale I see, and it rolled 100 rear wheel HP through a 9 inch.... but it did not like pump fuel..

cheers
Eggy
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem power Reply with quote

are the 13 sec fella's using standard G series blocks or twincams or Rodeo motors?? come on Gene your telling the story?? roughly what were there spec's NOS???
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Gem power Reply with quote

Having been in a Piazza-powered gemini before, id have to say its probably one of the smoothest, weirdest feelings ever. This one had a T03 bolted to it on 15psi, making 170rwkw on an otherwise stock motor, complete car cost $3500 to build. Sorry to say, but i dont think that sort of power is achievable from an n/a for that price.

Btw, just curious, are the piazza motors as unreliable as everyone says they are? The one i went in melted a piston, but that was due to tuning.

Nick-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: