HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Fuel / Hot Weather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Fuel / Hot Weather Reply with quote

ok its getting hot again and im about to be getign a enw car hopefulyl but if not i wana know what this prob is
if my car is out in the sun and its quite hot say about 30 it wont start
and if you jump start it it will fire for a little bit then die then maybe the second time it will keep running just if your foots to the floor

it seams to me that the fuel is evaporating does this happen to any one elses gem
kelvin
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel / Hot Weather Reply with quote

tried your timing might just be that just a guess though
Greg
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel / Hot Weather Reply with quote

Sounds like you're getting vapour lock in the fuel lines and the float in the carby is leaking somehow. If you have an electric fuel pump try priming it with power before you start and that *should* fix the prob if it is actually vapour lock

Goodluck with it
Greg
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel / Hot Weather Reply with quote

Yeah does sound like vapour lock, but I do know what you mean.
With my old gem, in the warmer months, when left sitting for a while in the sun, and especially if I didnt drive it for a couple of days, the fuel would seem to mysteriously dissapear, as my economy was shot to shit. But if i was driving it long enough that I used a tank in a few days, then the economy would be normal. Go figure, I never could.

Loz
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel / Hot Weather Reply with quote

well my tuning is fine runns alright uses alot of fuel but its not running overly rich
but yeah seems liek all the fuel get evaporated and then like even if i pump the ac i think the fuel hits the hot carby and evaporates but one driving its ok and if i turn it off and come back 10 min later still fin only iff its been in the sun for a while

so yeah guess theres nothinig can do about it
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel / Hot Weather Reply with quote

make up a portable carport, strap it to the car, and put wheels on it. then it will be in the shade all da time!
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel / Hot Weather Reply with quote

lol yeah i dont really car at my place i got a carport and most of my friends will help jump start but the shops it sucks i ust got to wait a while foot on the accc and flood the bitch though it doesn smell like your flooding it but evventually starts and alot of fuel out the exhaust

it loves it
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel / Hot Weather Reply with quote

If the fuel lines were vapour locking... it should still start ok from a cold start. Vapour locking should only become evident when the engine has been running and it then starves for fuel. In your case it seems to have fuel to begin with. If your car has a boot mounted electric fuel pump it's highly unlikely it is going to vapour lock.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
ge_mini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel / Hot Weather Reply with quote

My car does exactly the same thing but mine will start and run for a minute or two than act as if its running out of fuel. I wired my fuel pump to the battery and now run an additional switch. So now i just turn the fuel pump on for a while before i start the car it seems to have made it better. I know of heaps of gems that do the same thing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: