HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

TX Aftermarket Shocks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: TX Aftermarket Shocks Reply with quote

G'day, i'm just about to get my tax return back and want to go spring/shock hunting. I've already decided on my springs as Kings lowered (not superlow - just lowered).
But i'm still undecided on what shocks to get. Ive been to the sites with Pedders, Monroe, Gabriel, Koni, Whiteline etc. But i'd prefer hands on experience or advice from people using aftermarket shocks as to which are the better value for money in regards to perfomance/handling.
I'm leaning toward the Pedders GSR or Koni range, and Whiteline seem to be fairly clued up. But i wonder if they simply repaint and sticker Koni's and sell them as their own.
What are you guys/girls using and what are your thoughts as to a decent package. I give my Gem a fair hiding through corners - as you do. So decent road-holding is a must, but not to the point of them being fully adjustable as i dont plan to frequent club-sprints too often.
Has anyone read the 'Gemini handling' article on the Whiteline site, it's reasonably interesting. For a tad over a grand you can get a complete suspension upgrade including shocks, springs, swaybars, bushes, adj. panhard rod etc. etc. It even states the optimum geometry for camber, castor, toe in/out for good handling. I thought it was pretty cool and informative.
All advice is highly appreciated.

S N 3 A K Y

P.S One last thing, seeing as though TX's aren't fitted with sway-bars - would i be better off fitting a TG sway-bar for around $50, or is it wiser to fork out the extra $100 for an aftermarket Whiteline item ? I spose the smart thing to do would be to fit the TG item and if i'm not happy then upgrade to Whiteline...... Just chasing opinions.
Wagonslut
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: TX Aftermarket Shocks Reply with quote

i can highly reccomend the GSR's buddy, although im yet to experience them on a gemini, i drive a mirage all day fitted with GSR's and they handle really well. Although non adjustable, u will be very pleased with the GSR's, also, u got to keep in mind its still a gemini and they werent made to handle. Best thing u can do is a nice shiny set of red shocks and springs. i have heard bad about king springs, sure they're much cheaper, but the quality is a lot lower. you also get a warranty with pedders gear too. but its upto you, i would be going red!
my gemeration
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: TX Aftermarket Shocks Reply with quote

the kings may be cheaper but their customer support base is fucked. we have done a shitload of suspensions on many and varied types of vehicles, alot of customers choose the kings against our advice and end up coming back and changing to pedders. pedders are a tried and proven product, it comes back to, you get what you pay for.
kings lows for a commodore are the same as standard gmh ride. don't waste your time and money buy the best and then you won't be disappointed later
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: TX Aftermarket Shocks Reply with quote

If you get TD or later lower control arms it will lower the car and will give you somewhere to attach the sway bar to, there may be a spot in the chassis rails to attach the swaybar to the body but I am not sure on this. I am not sure if there somewhere to attach the rear swaybar either. With the shocks, get the Konis if you can afford them, if not, the rest are probably pretty much the same.
my gemeration
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: TX Aftermarket Shocks Reply with quote

have you actually done the later control arm conversion yourselve
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TX Aftermarket Shocks Reply with quote

Got it from here http://www.hotgemini.com/cgi-bin/gallery2.cgi?action=sv&vid=167.
Wagonslut
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: TX Aftermarket Shocks Reply with quote

ur in the suspension industry ey gemeration? who u work for? neone we know....
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: TX Aftermarket Shocks Reply with quote

"u got to keep in mind its still a gemini and they werent made to handle"

No, but they DO! In downhill's (where it's all about handling and not power) Gemini's reguarly beat such cars as WRX's and things that are commonly known to handle well...
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: TX Aftermarket Shocks Reply with quote

DO NOT BUY PEDDERS SHOCKS

They are nothing more then repainted and restickered Monroes, with a heftier price attached. There is an article on this from an ex-Pedders business man, ill see if i can find it.

Koni adjustables would have to be the best shocks, however their abit pricey. As far swaybars, even a stock TE swaybar would improve the TX no end, however id go for the whiteline one.

Nick-
murph
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: TX Aftermarket Shocks Reply with quote

Hey Sn3aky the prices on the whitline article on the "real handaling for your gemini" are from a magazine in 1997. I got fooled by that too the cost is a bit more now ie it says 220 for a pair of Konis but on the buy parts section of the witline site Konis 4 your gemi are 148 each.
SO I recon the over all cost would be closer to 2 Gs
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: TX Aftermarket Shocks Reply with quote

my mate just got a set of front shocks adjustable they are ont eh stiffest possible and man it handles well
i will find out the brand for you later
Winterheart
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: TX Aftermarket Shocks Reply with quote

I'm running Lovells lowered springs, Koni's, and all bushes are urethane, adjustable whiteline panhard rod and the I'm happy as larry with the performance and handling. I've so far used Monroes, Pedders and Koni shocks, and have found the Koni's to be by far the best in terms of handling and performance. The other advantage of koni's imo is that they are adjustable, ie I have mine set fairly stiff for around town, but on longer drives, eg sydney, melbourne, brisbane etc I set them fairly soft for comfort. Koni's are more expensive initially, but you can also get them rebuilt later on as well, so that also helps. Just my thoughts. Cheers Smile
Wagonslut
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TX Aftermarket Shocks Reply with quote

they are not repainted or restickered, they're made by the SAME company that makes monroes, there are a few slight subtle differences then the monroes and pedders. P.S cant remember the name of the company of the top of my head.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TX Aftermarket Shocks Reply with quote

i would never buy pedders specially when they wont run them in the rally car!! and my own bad experience with them.

if you want konis you have to think how long will you have the gemini for? at $200 each to get some sort of saving you hvae to have the car for over 4 years. springs are up to you lovells are cheaper than kings springs i changed to king springs due to the kings having thicker windings then the lovells.

The lower control arm swap is easy it will take about 4 hours to do or over a weekend if your rebushing and replacing bushes.
If your lowering the car cut some material off the bump stop to give your car more travel.

The rear swaybar on the coupe is a after market item. to fit it i used some front link bush bolts from a gemini and some angle iron and some high tensile 10mm bolts. you drill holes in some brackets under the car use the 10mm bolts to bolt the angle iron on and then get your link bushes and the gemini bolts and connect your swaybar up.
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: TX Aftermarket Shocks Reply with quote

Hehehe, cheers guys. Now i'm a little more hesitant than before on what combo to go for. It's like...
"Pedders rock!"
"Pedders suck!"
"Kings rock!"
"Kings suck!"
"Go the Lovells!"
"Koni's rock"
"Koni's are too expensive!"
etc etc etc

Hehehe, well i asked for opinions and i got them. Still unsure, but i may go the Kings and non-adjustable Koni's.
I'm going to do a search and find out if the super-lows are too low for my driving style.
I had a look at the clearance between my tyre and lip of my guards, the front can come down around 4 1/2cm's, but the rear looks like it could do with a 6cm drop. Now i'm debating on whether to go lowered front with super-lows at the rear. Anyone tried this ?
The lower control arm swap is a great idea, but i'm worried that it may lower the front too much. I love to brake very very late and very hard into corners, get the arse end into a 'little' drift and then power out. I dont want my fronts to be rubbing on my guards every time i do that. Looks are secondary, performance and handling/braking is primary. GO THE SLEEPERS!!

S N 3 A K Y
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: