HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

AHHH Help! Carby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GemDunger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: AHHH Help! Carby Reply with quote

How the F***K do you get at the stock TE carby??? Specifically the nut on the rear engine side stud - I have pulled off the carby after much swearing and such and overhauled it .. now I can't get it back on! Anyone have an idea that doesnt require breaking you fingers or becoming double jointed. I don't have a workshop anymore (divorced) is there a tool that gets at this nut or do I just make up something??? God any help is appreciated.
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: AHHH Help! Carby Reply with quote

Get a really cheap spanner and bend it in half, get a cheap spanner because they bend easier and are cheaper to replace. With the spanner bent, you caneasily get to that nut.
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: AHHH Help! Carby Reply with quote

Get yourself a few crescent ring spanners. Shaped in a curve and great for hard to reach nuts like bell housing and manifold.

Some applications really need a customised tool but you should be able to tackle the carb with above tools.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: AHHH Help! Carby Reply with quote

Hehehe, yeah that nut blows, it help to take off the rocker cover, if you hadn't allready worked that out. It's so stupid the way they created it so that that triangle thing is in the way.
ATG23Q
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: AHHH Help! Carby Reply with quote

Last edited by ATG23Q on Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
GemDunger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: AHHH Carby yea but Reply with quote

I already have a 12mm I cut down to get it off I cant get the friggin thing back on!!! I want the original engineer some razor blades and salt!! BTW thanks to all who responded - I love my TE but there are just some things .... carby - starter motor - aircon - and that flippin little electric setup for the elec fuel pump!!
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: AHHH Carby yea but Reply with quote

I have two custom made spanners, one 12mm cut down to about 60mm and one bent at right angles.
If you notice the top of the carby stud, if it's still the genuine one, it has a short section at the top with no thread. You can slip the nut onto the stud and spin it down with a finger.

Yonnee.
GemDunger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: AHHH Carby Solved!! Reply with quote

Thanks folks all helpful: Solution for me with the fat fingers: remove rocker cover and remove cruise richer solenoid (don't drop f'n spring into headlight cavity taking half an hour to locate!!) then u can get ur fat fingers on the flippin nut!! Putting cruise richer solenoid back on is easy for top 2 screws just need a short slim screwdriver for the botom one - jobs done ... thanks to all who posted.
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: AHHH Carby yea but Reply with quote

There are some nuts n bolts they didn't think about getting at once the engine is in the car... some of the ones on the diesel are a pain in the arse. Iv'e found it really difficult to remove one nut off the factory turbo where it mates to the manifold flange. It's really hard eve to get fingers to it and there is no room to swing a spanner. Damn thing is critical and needs torquing but hard to do where it is.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: