HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

frustrating boot seal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highlander
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: frustrating boot seal Reply with quote

ok ive had new window rubbers put in and sealants been ran all round both of them the fuel necks fine the tail lights are sealed ive got a new seal from clark rubber from the boot and its fine minus the fact water still gets in !!!! its as though thew water builds up and runs between the seal and the boot still, ive adjusted the boot perfectly and even knocked down the lock a few mill so its a tighter seal but noooooo the bitch still pours in water ??? long post soz
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: frustrating boot seal Reply with quote

check ya tail lights and ya rear window seal, it can leak in a little throught the rear window and go down the pasell shelf
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: frustrating boot seal Reply with quote

he just said there all sealed already
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: frustrating boot seal Reply with quote

lol i dunno...i had more fun completely recovering my dash
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: frustrating boot seal Reply with quote

This is a frustrating one...
Did you use a mastic sealer in the groove of the new seal? I don't think I've seen a Gemini yet that doesn't leak past the boot seal. I'm not convinced that it is actually the seal at fault yet. I even shut myself into the boot to test one of mine and it didn't leak even when a mate attacked it with a garden hose.... but, a week later after a nights rain I had half a litre of water in the boot! No idea where it comes in but I suspect it could have leaked in through the rear windscreen seal. Other points could be the screw holes where the fuel filler cover hinges attach or possibly leaking between two panels where a sealer has dried and shrunk. This could even lead to water spraying off the tyre on a rainy day ending up in the boot. Whatever the location it's probably one of the most important things to fix if ya wanna keep your Gem from dissolving away. One other thought is the rim of the boot that the seal clips over may be deformed over time and the shape no longer adequately matches the boot lid.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
jimbob03
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: frustrating boot seal Reply with quote

were did you join the bootseal top or bottom and did you supa glue the joins in it. also get that windscreen goo crap and put it under the bootseal so no water can come in
jimbob03
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: frustrating boot seal Reply with quote

try the gemi badges that coul b the prob 2
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: frustrating boot seal Reply with quote

windscreen goo crap = K&H part number BWS500BK.

You should find it at most auto accessory stores.

It is a sealer not an adhesive and remains soft and only skins when installed. Do not use silastic style sealers.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Highlander
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: frustrating boot seal Reply with quote

ok yes i know what windscreen sealant looks like ive done all windows and tail lights etc the seal join is at the bottom of the boot im not that silly.. my gemi is badgeless (looks better i reckon) patched them all up before i sprayed as for the seal itself i didnt think it required selastic :-/
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: frustrating boot seal Reply with quote

It probably didn't when the car was built and all the panels were dead straight. After 20 years most gemini boots have distorted to some degree. They are really soft in the panel depoartment at the boot. Not uncommon to find the lip has bent somewhat.

I thought about installing a small amount of that sealant as an addition, as often I've found the original lip will be rusted. This indicates water must be getting in under the seal and it remains there for some time later.

It is even possible that water may actually syphon into the boot this way if enough pressure diferential exists between the inside or the boot and outside air when driving or when the temperature suddenly drops during a rain storm on a hot day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: