HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Coolest place in a Gemini to store computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoyoyo
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Coolest place in a Gemini to store computer Reply with quote

Yo, i'm building a computer to store 250GB of mp3s. Now, on a hot day in Adelaide, the car gets fucking hot. I've read somewhere that in a car on a hot day it can get up to 70C+. So anyway, cooling is a major factor, and before i think about that, what area would probably be kept coolest the most? I was thinking of just using a fish tank and submerging the computer in olive oil, but if i had a crash or something it'd make a mess of the car.

Also, i'm going to have a 802.11b card in the computer which i want to hook up to an omni-directional antenna on the bonnet. That way i can stream radio from Internode as they have wireless access from most places in Adelaide. Also so i can hook up a laptop and use the net if i ever get bored or for passengers.
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolest place in a Gemini to store computer Reply with quote

What if you have a voltage drop?
250gb of mp3s? geez my mate has 40gb of mp3s and thats like 11 days worth of non stop music. I honestly recon youre best off buying a laptop so you can take it out when you leave the car cause if someone steals your car you will be fucking spewing.
yoyoyo
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolest place in a Gemini to store computer Reply with quote

Nah it's only a crap computer minus the HDD (hard disk drive). I'll have a backup though. I was gonna make a custom head unit for a mobile HDD rack so i can take the HDD with me and take it out etc when i'm not driving. I want to hide it all pretty well, like under the dash or in the boot so people can't see anything through the window. Maybe only two speakers in the doors and that'll be it.
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolest place in a Gemini to store computer Reply with quote

lol are you serious

sorry just a dodgy idea

just buy and mp3 player or get a laptop and take it with you when you get out the car
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolest place in a Gemini to store computer Reply with quote

my mate was gonna do the compter idea in is bmw. he worked out that the coolest place would be the boot, but in a gemi youll have to insulate the boot completely and install stiff ass shockers cause you dont want the hdd vibrating to all fuck.
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolest place in a Gemini to store computer Reply with quote

Ok dude, two things.

There is a site (somewhere) that teaches you how to make a headunit using a LCD display and a harddrive. I'll try and find it.

If you are going to do the computer idea, my advice is to have a removable harddrive (you can just buy the casing for your harddrive and all you do is unlock and pull it out.) You are going to need a BIG ASS cpu fan and i would design my own case for the comp as well. It isn't that hard to do, i would be making one as small as possible, you can mount the HDD parallell to the MoBo and make it slim line, also you would probably need something like a Creative Audigy sound card or something.

But man, keep be in the know i wanna see how this thing turns out, if you need anymore help ask away.
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolest place in a Gemini to store computer Reply with quote

yeah keep us in the know

theres a thread on fast fours a week or so ago about a site for people putting computers in cars but it looked quite lame

go search on ff to find it
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolest place in a Gemini to store computer Reply with quote

My mechanic told me a month or so ago about some site that has a tutorial on how to use an LSD display, HDD and sound car. Sounded sweet as.

I want an LSD for my computer, they are so sweet. Just wire them up (i have designs) and then download this program and they can display heaps of info, like stuff in the BIOS, CPU temp, how much Mem being used, Mp3's, if you have new outlook email messages, practically anything. But couldn't find the right type of LCD display.
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: DIY Website Reply with quote

http://www.buildmp3player.com

$20 buck subscription fee tho, but it seems legit.
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: More sites. Reply with quote

http://www.mattman.com/mp3/

http://www.brianburton.org/impee3/index.php

http://www.topher.net/~andym/trou/main.htm
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolest place in a Gemini to store computer Reply with quote

i did this in my first gem a green TX with fuck all insulation, pc wasn't even in a case but the HD"s were supported by foam and shit

lasted 6 months, just got sick of havin to run the inverter and shit and startup time etc

i'd just get an iPod and an FM thing

for while in my new car i used an old laptop with a bluetooth adaptor and controlled the entire contraption from my mobile fone, that was alrite you could do searches and shit for songs just like u type a messaeg or look up a fone number

got sick of that as well startup time, line noise takes fucken ages to insulate it and ground it properly

so yeah get a ipod

end up bein cheaper and u dont have to worry about pricks stealin it

no wories about gorund loops noise and all that other shit
yoyoyo
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: More sites. Reply with quote

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: