HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Which Turbo?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FullGrownGem
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Which Turbo? Reply with quote

I've got a Rebuilt G200 to turbo specs and running efi, just wondering what type of turbo to use?
I want to run about 250 rwhp?
I was think maybe a t3 hyflowed?
any other ideas would be appreciated
CrAzY
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Turbo? Reply with quote

let me know, im doin the same thing shortly, the guy the is buildin my engine says that he has build a few g200 with the upgrade for a wrx, n they shit on wrx's so yea what ever that turbo is i guess, not too sure
FullGrownGem
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Turbo? Reply with quote

what specs are your engine being built?
CrAzY
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Turbo? Reply with quote

im not sure on the specs yet but i have a rough figure of about 8grand, to get it rebuilt and turbo, and will be able to run decent amout of boost, i'll let u know when i get the engine and give the guy the go ahead, which should be in the next few months,
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Which Turbo? Reply with quote

I have been a passenger in a (approx) 320rwhp 1800 with a T3 from a VL Commodore, it utilised a single side-draft Weber and took the engine builder approx 8 engines to get the right tuning and combination. Mind you that was at 30psi, the low setting was 18psi. And to seem even crazier, no intercooler was used. Apparently it had a 5 puck clutch and a Detroit locker as well. It literally annihialated STi's with a full car load and two subs in the boot. Truly priceless when you're looking at the face of the driver in the WRX.
The running gear used to belong to Damien Foley on the Gold Coast, he had it in a nice orange Gemini with billet wheels.
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Which Turbo? Reply with quote

Yeah, the T03's are meant to be good, but they come on boost late, has anyone found that to be a problem? Like im talkin street drags here, not 1/4mile or anythin, 90% of people getting turbo's are drivin them for street, and are getting them on a car that is only gonna be used on the street. So with a gem i would have thought for a gem to be able to take off quick, they will need a turbo that comes on boost quicker. Say a t28 or something? That is just what i have gathered from people and reading stuff. Coz i'm also trying to work out which i want either t03 or t28.

Peace.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Which Turbo? Reply with quote

GT28 and you cant go wrong. BB so they spool quickly and a very reliable, good effic. as well.
.82 turbine and .60 compressor will give 250rwhp or a bit bigger and go the .64 turbine with the .70 comp.
CrAzY
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Which Turbo? Reply with quote

i know gene is puttin a T04B on the fj20?
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Which Turbo? Reply with quote

your gonna spend $8grand on a g200 turbo

please someone stop me from laughing.
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Which Turbo? Reply with quote

for a 2litre engine the t25 or 28's in my opinion are too small most suited to 1.8 litre engines however depends what you are looking for

t03 with larger compressor wheel and blades suited to a 2l application will spool very quickly and have little or next to no lag. but then again u can match t04's to do the same thing but produce more hp.
theres a lot more than simply bolting on turbo off another car if you want reliable performance.
CrAzY
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Which Turbo? Reply with quote

hey gem4play has spent $25,000 on his gem, ok it now has a twin cam 2L turbo, but my engine is being rebuilt and that includes the turbo parts and the intercooler, getting pipes bent up for the intercooler is pretty fucking expensive, so excuse me if i spend 8grand and my eninge is in the car running, but a worked g200 dont have as much power as i'd like, drove a te with a g200 and a lumpy as cam, my 1600 would have keep up with it. which is y im goin the turbo conversion, oh n im sorry if you would rather put in an import nissan engine for that price but my decision is to stick with the g200, i want the car finished n on the road in 12months, so an usuzu block was a better choice, cos i couldn't be fucked doin the conversion n all the shit that goes along with it. so u can laugh at me but come to me n i'll race u n we'll see whos fucken laugin ok?
Grant
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Which Turbo? Reply with quote

You really must look at the suggestion LOZ made. The GT series of turbos are an aftermarket item, perfect for this style of application. You can order it in YOUR specs, no need to comprimise from a factory item. They are a ball bearing unit, made by Garrett, very reliable and reasonably priced. I paid about $1800 for a GT28. These are not T28 off 200SX etc, it is a GT series, dont get confused. Depending on the specs you choose, the GT28 will support between 300hp & 500hp(ish).

Grant
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Turbo? Reply with quote

i would go the SOHC g series over the dohc anyday Very Happy
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Turbo? :P Reply with quote

my thoguths would be BIG TURBO Very Happy

save u runing around on boost ALL the time If u have a small one u will all ways be in boost, where as u have a big fucker and drive the car normally around town but when u wanna get “jiggy with it” hit 3500-4000 rpm and it will be go time.

For that engine I recon the .63 VL turbo. One of them high flowed will be awsum.
Or if ya tricky hunt around for a fj20 .63 turbo for about ½ the price of the VL one, cos the .63 VL turbo and the .63 fj20 one are the exact same thing, but ppl sell the VL ones for twice as much cos there “so good”
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Turbo? Reply with quote

woa settle down
im just saying 8 grand is a shitload of money and u would want to be pullin some serious hp out of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: