HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

V6 Engineers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoupEME
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: V6 Engineers Reply with quote

Does any one know of an Engineer in vic who will pass a V6 Gem! please help as the guy who was going to pass mine says that he wont do it anymore!!! spent 15K on it!!! did it just the way he want it and when i rang him today he just came out and said sorry i cant do it.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 Engineers Reply with quote

ouch that sucks
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 Engineers Reply with quote

Rod hadfield at the castlemaine rodshop will do it, and i remember talkin to the blokes at hoppers stoppers, they know an engineer who will do it as well, mcdonald bros racing probably could too, thats pretty well all i know where bouts are ya??? That'll depend on where ya go, castlemaines near bendigo, whereas the other two are down melbourne...
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: V6 Engineers Reply with quote

sue the tosser for fuking you around
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: V6 Engineers Reply with quote

It could be the rules have changed in the time you have been building...

Could also be that the engineer you have been dealing with is no longer an approved engineer for the purpose of vehicle modifications. As from April 2003 the system was changed and a lot of people who were approved to certify modifications are no longer able to.

The only way to get it approved is to contact your local VicRoads office and ask for a copy of the VASS list. The old RES system of an "Engineers Report" has now been replaced with a "VASS Approval Certificate"

The document I have is a current list of approved VASS inspection points located in Victoria, South Australia Queensland and NSW able to approve modifications to vehicles registered in Victoria. There are only 32 listed and of those only 21 are licenced to approve modifications to light vehicles!

Rod Hadfield does not appear on this list as a signatory nor do McDonald Brothers.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
CoupEME
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 Engineers Reply with quote

They all use the same dude
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 Engineers Reply with quote

Thats correct about Hadtfield, and McDonald Bros, but I guess when they say they can do it, they actually mean they can organise it through a VASS signatory.

The system changed in 2002, where only a VASS certificate is required, not a report, but even then, basically the same people were doing it.

I have not done a a V6 in a gem before, although I get a lot of enquiries. we haven't signed one off, simply because my boss wants to see one in the car before discussing chassis reinforcements, etc.

Ben
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: V6 Engineers Reply with quote

Thats probably right Ben... If there is a chance to peg a few dollars onto the bill they will go middle man between customer and VASS inspection.

Sometimes I wonder about the logic applied regarding modification laws.

I am about to slip an imported 4FC1-T (1994cc) into a Gemini that was manufactured with a 4FB1 (1817cc) engine in it. The shuttle was released with a 4FC1 engine and this engine is the same except for a low boost turbocharger.

The damn thing meets all requirements regarding increased capacity and power BUT because it was not an option offered by GMH, technically it needs a VASS inspection at a cost of over $300! The only modification needed is to change the exhaust header pipe!

It pisses me off knowing the number of what should be illegal modifications when you think about how many Holdens and Fords alone are running engines that slot straight in but are in excess of the power and capacity limits. For example in Victoria it is not technically legal to put a 202 into an EH or an LC. In both cases the engine exceeds the limits of power and volume AND it was not available as an option from GMH.

If there is some sort of allowance for these particular vehicles then it should be reasonable that similar allowances also apply to what I am doing.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 Engineers Reply with quote

$300 is a pretty good price, we charge around $500 for an engine swap. Even if its a bolt in swap, you have to verify the pollution requirements are being met, check the installation, (make sure its bolt in) do a noise level test, and then check the rest of the car for any modifications that the owner might have "forgotten" to tell you about. Then theres the paper work, which takes almost as long as the inspection, sometimes longer.

There is no legal limit for size of engines for various cars, there is in other states however. You can legally put a big block chev into a gemini for example, its up to the signatory's discretion. Most however will tell you to go away.

I take it you have a late model imported gem? if so, you will have trouble with the engine swap you want to do due to emissions. You will need to comply with ADR 37, and you will have to find evidence that the engine you want to use also complies.

Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: